Text distorted, cut off, smaller, with commercial laser printer

smeelah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 6L, HP 1018, HP M28
Hi!
I have a PDF that I am having printed onto heavy card stock at a local printer. They are doing me a favour by letting me use the heavy cardstock so I am trying to troubleshoot this latest issue myself. They were printing on a newly serviced Ricoh(?)..and manually inserting the cardstock. I noticed later that there were oddities in some of the text that applied to all the prints. A particular S would be mis printed, a particular line of text would be cut off, a particular line or word would be smaller than the rest of the text.

It's a large file since it was originally a photoshop document and I didn't want to reduce it unless I had a reason. I used fonts that I liked, but may or may not be suitable for printing. I have no idea. Might these two things be an issue? Or might it be a corrupted file? Or is it most likely the printer?

Thanks for any help!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload a scan or photo of the misprinted document? You don't need to upload the whole document, just a crop showing the defects.

Maybe you could test the PDF file by printing it on plain paper using one of your printers?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Or might it be a corrupted file?
The most likely issue your having is with your non-standard text, go back to your Photoshop document file, but this time when you save it, embed the fonts into the PDF , then it will work properly for you....

By embedding the fonts, this exports them inside the PDF file, the reason why the PDF prints on your system and nowhere else is because you already have these non-standard fonts saved on your own system..

smeelah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 6L, HP 1018, HP M28
Thank you for your responses! It printed fine on plain paper on my home laser printer.

I didn't know about embedding fonts - thank you!

It seems to be cutting off part of an image as well ( the top of the leaves looks cropped). This is all done on photoshop (just because that's the program that I have and am used to).

On the attached sample of text:
line 2 - each S is messed up
line 4 - the middle 5 words are cut off at the bottom (except for the g(?))
line 6 - each g is cut off at the bottom
last line - "wearing it" is smaller text

This text and the mistakes are repeated along the length of the page.

Thank you!

IMG_8611.jpgIMG_8610.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_8613.jpg
    IMG_8613.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I didn't know about embedding fonts - thank you!
Well maybe you should try saving your Document as a Tiff, that way the fonts will be imbedded in that format, and then save the Tiff as a PDF, or just give the Tiff to your local printer..

smeelah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 6L, HP 1018, HP M28
Well maybe you should try saving your Document as a Tiff, that way the fonts will be imbedded in that format, and then save the Tiff as a PDF, or just give the Tiff to your local printer..

I will try that, thank you!

smeelah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 6L, HP 1018, HP M28
Just to update... I think it must have been a corrupted file. I learned a bit about embedding fonts and tried recreating the file in Illustrator but the quality was not as good as with my previous doc. So, I deleted the newest files, went back to the original photoshop file, went through all the edits again, took it to the printer and it printed perfectly.