Term for cheap print?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
it was a trade off between the needle impact energy, the driving voltage of the solenoids and the reliability of the printhead, I remember 6-7 copies max.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
My first "real" job after grad/post-grad studies was with NCR (National Cash Registers) in 1971.
I just woke and coffee hasn't set in. Okay, I always knew that's what NCR stood for but I also thought NCR stood for Non-Carbon Replica.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
it was a trade off between the needle impact energy, the driving voltage of the solenoids and the reliability of the printhead, I remember 6-7 copies max.
Monsters, Inc., Mike Wazowski: "The pink copies go to accounting, the fuchsia ones go to purchasing, and the goldenrod ones go to Roz. Leave the puce!"

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
My first "real" job after grad/post-grad studies was with NCR (National Cash Registers) in 1971. My job was to analyse and optimise the print head to achieve the maximum number of readable copies on NCR paper. If memory serves me right we managed eight without causing the print head to melt! Interesting work until NCR pulled the plug on the European development operation, right after their bumper year with the UK change to decimal currency. So much for job security.

Interesting. My recollection is that in the UK market NCR was deemed to stand for NO CARBON REQUIRED, and was marketed under that patented name by the paper merchants. Later as the patent expired or was sold alternative brands appeared, mostly from Asia. Now the generic term is carbonless and the market is miniscule compared to the heydays of 65 to probably 1990.

Job security? - What is that?
"Do more with less or else", is the mantra of the era.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Interesting. My recollection is that in the UK market NCR was deemed to stand for NO CARBON REQUIRED, and was marketed under that patented name by the paper merchants
That was the true meaning back then for this type of carbonless paper and it was the brain child of someone in National Cash Register, so the two meaning are correct, but it had health issues we were not told about...:(