Term for cheap print?

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
What is the artistic term for a cheap print of an artist's work?

I'm buying frames with beautiful matting from thrift stores for less than $5 and in most cases destroying the art in the process of repurposing them for my photographs. The artwork is of a painting by some famous artist. I wish I'd taken a snapshot of the copyright and signature before closing up the frame. It was printed in some mass-produced fashion on what appears like a poster; it's not even photo-paper quality. I don't even know what you'd call that type of reproduction?

I'm asking here because you guys seem to know everything!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
In the beginning, there was a big Bang... :gig :lol:

One of the first things in Genesis is:
“Then God said, ‘Let there be light’; and there was light. God saw that the
light was good....” Ever since then, photographers have been complaining about “bad light.”

From the opening chapter in Jay Maisels book, "Light, colour, gesture"

For me it lets me know who to blame for the bad light.

rs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
What is the artistic term for a cheap print of an artist's work?

POSTER

Back in the day I worked for 50 years in the comercial print world - Offset printing. A world where we purchased ink by the ton.

Frequently artists or photogrphers would ask the cost to produce limited edition reproductions of their work.

When given the price of several thosand dollars and had been revived with smelling salts we would explain the cost of top quality stock, retouching colour, multiple proof stages, press approvals, etc, etc.

Very rapidly their limited edition dreams would be reduced to a poster 500 copies for a thousand bucks, cheap paper, limited proofing, run of the mill mass production!

rs
What's in a name - Will Shakespeare (AKA the Bard)

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
POSTER

Back in the day I worked for 50 years in the comercial print world - Offset printing. A world where we purchased ink by the ton.

Frequently artists or photogrphers would ask the cost to produce limited edition reproductions of their work.

When given the price of several thosand dollars and had been revived with smelling salts we would explain the cost of top quality stock, retouching colour, multiple proof stages, press approvals, etc, etc.

Very rapidly their limited edition dreams would be reduced to a poster 500 copies for a thousand bucks, cheap paper, limited proofing, run of the mill mass production!
A real shame.
Poster, thanks.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Did inkjet printers evolve from dot matrix? Were they in the Matrix with Trinity, Neo, and Morpheus?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550