Technique for making prints with text and borders

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
You should be able to do what you want in any wordprocessor, basically insert image tell it to centre and then add a page border, its straight forward and easy, i am able to replicate your example results in seconds.

I'm sure you are right, except...........as explained, some kind of bug about margins in WordPerfect. Yes, I know it is and I'm a dinosaur, but I've yet to find anything better for me. I won't pay the extortion fee to MS to legally use Word (overlooking the new Word online progams), and I find LibreOffice way, way more feature driven than I have any need for. Abiword is the other direction, way too minimalist, hard to even set the font. So, I keep coming back to WordPerfect X4.

Of course I never claimed that my method and LibreOffice is the only way. Yet, all seem happy to play the "Yes, but......" forum game. How about, "Good idea. I've tried it in Word, works great."

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
For layout and design printing you need a proper Application like Illustrator, InDesign or desktop publishers like Quark Xpress, any of these applications would give you total professional control over your output.

You borders and positioning need a bit more of an adjustment not to mention the Show girl’s modesty, it would be preferred if you discreetly placed a tint in the right place please.. :hu

YOU may want different border adjustments, I don't. Why you think a person needs the aforementioned programs is beyond me. As is your sense of modesty. This is 2015, not 1915.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
For layout and design printing you need a proper Application like Illustrator, InDesign or desktop publishers like Quark Xpress, any of these applications would give you total professional control over your output.

OK, but why would I want to spend big money and learn a whole new software to do what I do just fine in LibreOffice?

Paul,

If you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter, and "Open Office" is probably good enough.

I use it and the result is a typographic nightmare. Hurts me eyes and makes my head ache.

I use it out of necessity because I had a fight with Microsoft over my MS office license and refuse to pay them a second time for the same product - long story.

For serious work I agree with the Hat. Indesign by adobe is another alternative application, and there are others.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... I studied typography and it has spoiled my enjoyment of the current trend to write everything in MS Comic Sans with an additional 6 mismatched typefaces, multiple borders, and at least half a dozen borders. UGH!! - end of rant

RS

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Paul,

If you can't tell the difference then it doesn't matter, and "Open Office" is probably good enough.

I use it and the result is a typographic nightmare. Hurts me eyes and makes my head ache.

I use it out of necessity because I had a fight with Microsoft over my MS office license and refuse to pay them a second time for the same product - long story.

For serious work I agree with the Hat. Indesign by adobe is another alternative application, and there are others.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... I studied typography and it has spoiled my enjoyment of the current trend to write everything in MS Comic Sans with an additional 6 mismatched typefaces, multiple borders, and at least half a dozen borders. UGH!! - end of rant

RS

Your rant stands on firm typographic ground, and I enjoyed it. Especially can appreciate your refusal to pay MS again. I don't see MS Comic Sans anywhere...........except in my informal letters. Hmmm...... Although I stick to one font per piece, no borders.

For my text on photo prints, I use "My Underwood" font, found online. A typewriter font to go in character with my vintage images from The Verizzo Family Photographic Estate.

Don't let Purity stop your pleasure. Purity is one of the hallmarks of a religion, and all religions, including secular ones like typography and veganism can steal the joy of life because something isn't fitting the Dogma of the Perfect.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
YOU may want different border adjustments, I don't. Why you think a person needs the aforementioned programs is beyond me. As is your sense of modesty. This is 2015, not 1915.
You gave the impression that you were a bit of a perfectionist when it came to photo display and art works, so therefore I would have taught you may have welcomed suggestions and advice to better improve those skills, well it just goes to show how wrong I was.
peitsche2.gif

2015 has nothing to with modesty, there is a place for nudity and this community forum is not it, or is that also beyond you ? :hu

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
OK, but why would I want to spend big money and learn a whole new software to do what I do just fine in LibreOffice?
I have no problem with your using what works for your specific purpose. Whatever works! I'm curious to know why you are averse to using an Adobe product? Because I was not aware of the antipathy some have for Photoshop or Photoshop Elements I bought PSE and have thoroughly enjoyed using it.

I also hear many people swearing that they won't use MS Word or any other MS product. Again, I, like you, use what works for me. For that reason I do use MS Word for the fact that it is universally accepted by most people to whom I'd send files, but I prefer Wordperfect, in part, because it has always had the additional screen available to see ALL the formatting characters that are invisible in Word.

Interesting that you did present an example of what you are creating in a PDF file which is read by most people by Adobe Reader.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have no problem with your using what works for your specific purpose. Whatever works! I'm curious to know why you are averse to using an Adobe product? Because I was not aware of the antipathy some have for Photoshop or Photoshop Elements I bought PSE and have thoroughly enjoyed using it.

I also hear many people swearing that they won't use MS Word or any other MS product. Again, I, like you, use what works for me. For that reason I do use MS Word for the fact that it is universally accepted by most people to whom I'd send files, but I prefer Wordperfect, in part, because it has always had the additional screen available to see ALL the formatting characters that are invisible in Word.

Interesting that you did present an example of what you are creating in a PDF file which is read by most people by Adobe Reader.

I'm adverse to Adobe for a number of reasons, the most prominent being I utterly lack Adobe DNA. By that I mean, for me, the total opposite of intuitive. Nothing makes sense to me. This goes back almost 20 years. I just recently revisited Elements 8 that came with my Canon 9000. I can't even figure out the organizing system. I can't even figure out how to open one image in the program to work on.

Call me stupid, but when I can easily do such simple chores in a half dozen other programs, why keep inflicting pain on myself?

A second reason is I've always had a counter culture personality. I don't follow the masses, especially when it costs large monies.

I don't use Adobe Reader. I much prefer the free Foxit Reader. Years ago, PDF capabilities that Adobe was extorting high prices to do similar in Acrobat.

Did you know that WordPerfect had a program called Barista way back in the WP 6, 7, or 8 days? A universal portable document type. Well before PDF. I've nothing particularly against Word except that until the free online versions, it was rather expensive. I don't deal with extortion. I can write in WP and save in DOC or PDF. The latter was unavailable in Word for many years.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Just to stick up for you a little @Paul Verizzo i also personally hate things like photoshop and other Adobe products. Cost a fortune, hard to learn (at least for an old bugger like me that has no patience) bloated in size and a resource hog.

Half the functions in photoshop most people will never use and all the regularly used functions you can do in simple free software like Gimp.

One other maybe suggestion for you paul to try is inkscape... A kinda cross between paint and a wordprocessor....
https://inkscape.org/en/
Primarily for vector graphics but it does much more.

Abiword is old but also worth a play...
http://www.abisource.com/

Lyx is a good but different word processor
http://www.lyx.org/Home

Last edited:

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I'm adverse to Adobe for a number of reasons, the most prominent being I utterly lack Adobe DNA. By that I mean, for me, the total opposite of intuitive. Nothing makes sense to me. This goes back almost 20 years. I just recently revisited Elements 8 that came with my Canon 9000. I can't even figure out the organizing system. I can't even figure out how to open one image in the program to work on.
Paul - I agree with you regarding their organizing system. In some respects it makes sense to "tag" pix with names, etc, for retrieval but it seems more cumbersome than necessary. I never even go to the organizing screen. Having started with PSE v.2 that didn't have the organizer function I just never used it.

Having worked with PC's from the first IBM 1960 version and come through the DOS days, I'm used to storing files in folders and sub-folders with descriptive names and dates. In PSE (I still use v.3 ) I use the browse file function that brings up the whole "tree" structure of folders. Selecting a folder puts all the folder's files on screen with thumbnails. Easy to select a picture to work on and print directly from the "edit" screen.

I recently bought v.12 very inexpensively to see what new bells and whistles I might use. I can still use the browse function in the edit screen and bypass the organizer. BTW, talking about the learning curve and apparent lack of being intuitive, I sat down with PSE on my computer with my 11 year old granddaughter after taking her out for a photo shoot. After about 20 minutes of showing her the basic functions she had a great time exploring many of the things I hadn't showed her. She has subsequently brought pix to our home and played with PSE in altering and printing her photos.

Two things became very apparent to me. One was that, like so many of our modern computer driven devices, they may not be intuitive to us but they can be easily mastered by an 11 year old! The other is that the current generations' aversion to printing pictures but instead simply viewing them on a smart phone can, even by an 11 year old, be overcome once the magic, fun, and simplicity of printing your pictures is experienced.