Technique for making prints with text and borders

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Maybe I reinvented the wheel here. As a step in promoting The Verizzo Family Photographic Estate www.vphotoestate.com , I wanted explanations, credit, and copyright information on the front. The actual image to be quite a bit smaller than the paper size. For instance, 6-7" on the long side.

The typical print programs I've used wouldn't allow a centered, smaller image except for Irfanview. I then created text I wanted in WordPerfect and would run the print through a second time. So far, so good. I discovred that while WordPerfect will permit a 13x19 inch page formating option, it chokes. Weird large, margins.

So I went to LibreOffice, which did fine with the A3+ and allowed a custom page size of 11x14, too. Optionally, for unmatted prints, a black border. Text as I wished, photo located anywhere on the page. Save as Title Size.odt. Ready to reprint again, any time.

A PDF sample is attached.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
For layout and design printing you need a proper Application like Illustrator, InDesign or desktop publishers like Quark Xpress, any of these applications would give you total professional control over your output.

You borders and positioning need a bit more of an adjustment not to mention the Show girl’s modesty, it would be preferred if you discreetly placed a tint in the right place please.. :hu

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Photoshop or Photoshop Elements will do everything you've described. 1) select paper size 2) select picture size and placement on the paper 3) place text anywhere on the page you wish and with a choice of text size, style, and font, and 4) apply borders. Depending on your printer you can do borderless prints in printer-specific sizes. PS elements is very inexpensive and, for the basic commands, is pretty easy to get up and running. In addition, there are any number of ways to improve the quality of the picture.

Saved as a PSD file (specific to Photoshop or Elements) you can preserve the layers of corrections, text, borders, etc, and return to the saved file later to alter any of these items.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Photoshop or Photoshop Elements will do everything you've described. 1) select paper size 2) select picture size and placement on the paper 3) place text anywhere on the page you wish and with a choice of text size, style, and font, and 4) apply borders. Depending on your printer you can do borderless prints in printer-specific sizes. PS elements is very inexpensive and, for the basic commands, is pretty easy to get up and running. In addition, there are any number of ways to improve the quality of the picture.

Saved as a PSD file (specific to Photoshop or Elements) you can preserve the layers of corrections, text, borders, etc, and return to the saved file later to alter any of these items.

I don't "do" Adobe. Ever.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
You should be able to do what you want in any wordprocessor, basically insert image tell it to centre and then add a page border, its straight forward and easy, i am able to replicate your example results in seconds.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think "Canon Photo Print EX" that's is included on the printer install CD can also be used. The program can also be downloaded for free from a Canon website. Here is a screen shot from the MP540 on screen manual:

Frames.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Word processors indeed are great with text but terrible at precise layout and design and if you’re trying to work with a 13 x 19 sheet you got no chance at all.

MS word was originally designed for professional looking letter writing and over the years it has added all sorts of bits and bobs to its format but it’s still a basic word processor, MS Publisher is a prime example of a disaster.
Paul Verizzo said:
I don't "do" Adobe. Ever
Understandable but you can always try using Quark Xpress, that not from the Adobe stables..

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think "Canon Photo Print EX" that's is included on the printer install CD can also be used. The program can also be downloaded for free from a Canon website. Here is a screen shot from the MP540 on screen manual:

View attachment 2527
The Album function has a few very limited pre-made formats. Birthday, Wedding, stuff like that.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Word processors indeed are great with text but terrible at precise layout and design and if you’re trying to work with a 13 x 19 sheet you got no chance at all.

MS word was originally designed for professional looking letter writing and over the years it has added all sorts of bits and bobs to its format but it’s still a basic word processor, MS Publisher is a prime example of a disaster.

Understandable but you can always try using Quark Xpress, that not from the Adobe stables..

OK, but why would I want to spend big money and learn a whole new software to do what I do just fine in LibreOffice?