Surprising fade test results

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Gee, guys, I hate to act like the moderator here, but could we just stick to the subject of fading here, and not argue about whose ink is better or cheaper? There's very little information on stability of third-party inks for my printer, and I'd kind of like to get some information, even if I have to do it all myself.

I make no pretenses of any sort of comprehensive ink quality test. Even the validity of my stability test is disputed, and I make no representation beyond what I've posted. My data are what they are, OK?

Martin0reg, please DO post your data here when you get them. And don't forget to post the ink catalog numbers.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
A reputable german PC magazine (C'T) tested third party ink and carts (in 8/2010),
these are the results for lightfastness of canon carts:

Canon OEM: +
four others (e.g. peach carts): 0 / -
all others (about 10 refills or carts, including inktec carts) --

IS is not available in german shops and was not tested.
Interesting and surprising: Ink from one manufacturer was good in epson and bad in canon and vice versa,
e.g. lightfastness of i-color carts for canon: -- / for epson: +
peach carts for canon: - / for epson: --

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Bribe them to do HP564/HP56-57-58 also. :)

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
martin0reg said:
Interesting and surprising: Ink from one manufacturer was good in epson and bad in canon and vice versa,
e.g. lightfastness of i-color carts for canon: -- / for epson: +
peach carts for canon: - / for epson: --
Could it be DYE vs. PIGMENTED ?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
yes, epson cart was t0711 - durabrite...(OEM lightfastness result:++)
But that does not explain, why one third party manufacturer is good in epson durabrite and not good in canon..and the other manufacturer does it contrary

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
There are links on the inktec homepage which are referring to older tests from 2004, the test I noted above is from 2010.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Yes, you're right, martin0reg. I deleted the post. I didn't know I could. That article is not available to me, but I note the same magazine rated the ink "bad" for fading in 2010.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Slocumeddie, the title of this thread is "Surprising fade test results". I'd really like to stay on that subject. Thanks.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
slocumeddie said:
Fade "testing" aside, Inktec ink in small quantaties costs: >$5.00/ounce.........

I.S. ink in small quantities costs: <$2.00/ounce.........
Interesting. I am not aware Inktec ink is so expensive. My recent buy of Hobbicolors ink is $5.50 for 4 oz of UW8 ink. The price would be even cheaper for a kit.