Surprising fade test results

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
That's for the 20-millimeter size. Also available in the 1-meter size and 20-kilometer size.
c010.gif

sbrads

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
iP4700
I've had 2 identical iP4700 prints sat on a window sill for 6 months now to check for fading on Canon PP201 glossy paper using IS ink on one and Canon OEM ink on the other. No difference and no fading. Good enough for me to continue with IS ink, which is all I needed to know.

About 2 years ago I conducted a similar test with an HP 5550 (57+58 carts) using InkTec refill ink on Kodak Premium glossy paper and the colours totally disappeared to an unrecognisable mess in 2 months.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I had a fading test done with Canon OEM CLI-8 ink a few years ago. In one month I saw Magenta faded a little. But that was done on Costco paper exposed to sun light through a bathroom window.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tin Ho said:
I had a fading test done with Canon OEM CLI-8 ink a few years ago. In one month I saw Magenta faded a little. But that was done on Costco paper exposed to sun light through a bathroom window.
Maybe the aerosolized urea and sulfur from your bathroom excursions as well as steam from bathing accelerated the fading process.

Dragon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
Printer manufactures test their best inks on their best paper to get the best results.
If they deviate from that say using 3rd party paper then their results take a nose dive also.. :(
:)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
The bathroom is one that is much less used. It is basically reserved for guests. I have had no guests in the past 6 months. No one ever takes a bath or shower there. The toilet is almost never used. The window of that bathroom is always opened even at night. I am talking about a room reserved for visiting guest in an office. The room has common office furniture only. I know I need to down size. I am wasting office space.

The problem is likely to be in the paper. I have not tried to test it again with Canon's best paper. It is useless for me because I can never afford to use Canon paper. It is not practical. The Costco paper is economical and practical. The problem is even with OEM ink it fades in a month.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tin Ho said:
The problem is even with OEM ink it fades in a month.
Is this rapid fading the same as in your home when using the same ink and paper? If not, there must be something(s) the ink/paper is exposed to in the office/bathroom which causes the accelerated fading.

This could be like a canary in a coal mine - alerting you early on that something not good for you is in your environment.