Supertank printers with replaceable ink absorbers?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
let's have a look to the ink pricing
I read an article not long ago about the ink pricing being nice with the tank models, but, how many people will own the printers long enough to overcome the initial cost of the printer with savings on ink costs?

I have concerns that the tank models are more for convenience of not replacing ink so often in exchange for an increased total cost of ownership for the printer.

I doubt this was lost on the bean counters at Epson and Canon.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
After using CISS on a few of my Canon printers for high volume printing, I then switched back to cartridges filling after one of the CISS units constantly malfunctioned.

Despite having the convenience of large ink tanks I found cartridge refilling a far better option and safer to use than using a CISS unit, everything is bigger with CISS, including ink costs, maintenance, running issues and down time due to the inevitable malfunction..

In a nut shell your print head is always at risk if you don’t monitor the printer while printing, and I image these tank printer are much the same.. my two cent worth..

P.S. Your printer will last longer refilling the carts than using these tank printers..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Not disagreeing with any of the criticisms on this at all...

The key frustration I receive from a lot of Ecotank customers is the lack of proper support when it comes to things like waste ink on the earlier models so at least Epson did something to offset that at last. Where they come unglued is the obvious lowest common denominator BS support when things aren't quite right and they just toss out the "buy a new one" to someone who paid £300+ GBP for a printer... That's just taking the proverbial piddle.

Such is life...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
How is this an improvement?
You don't need a screwdriver to get inside the printer to replace the absorbers, and these 'maintenance boxes' don't come with a battery. It's up to you to go another route - doing a reset via hardware or software - buying those boxes at a lower price via Aliexpress or else

Last edited:

aCuria

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 5070, Epson L10850
The newer canon models have user replaceable Maintenance Cartridges. For example, the
PIXMA G2020
PIXMA G1020
PIXMA G3060
PIXMA G3020
PIXMA G570
PIXMA G670
PIXMA G3730
PIXMA G3770
PIXMA G4770

Latest posts