Stupid Refill Problem

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have 2 PG-40 carts that I tried refilling with a new set of black inks that my supplier had in stock. Both clogged up soon after refilling; I figure that as soon as the new ink made its way into the printhead, things got nasty. Now, no amount of cleaning/deep cleaning/soaking head on wet tissue would get the printhead to work again. Dammit!

I was wondering if there is any way to de-clog these carts once this problem has occurred.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Alexandereci,

maybe a chemical reaction is causing the clogs (precipitation between the two inks). I used KMP pigment black to refill and my friends using these cartridges are very happy with the deep black and razor sharp text output.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I figure you did buy very bad ink causing clogging. Did you use this ink into a PGI-5 or BCI-3eBK cartridge ? If the clogging is tenacious I would suggest you to seek for other (empty) PG-40 cartridges to refill.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
No, just used it on a PG-40 cart. Is there any way to unclog the cart? Or should I just throw it away?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
you might use a bottom puller and push the ink back through the nozzles to try to unclog the cartridge. But watch out: the bottom puller must be very good or you will end up oozing ink into your hands or worse.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hmmm... that bottom puller again. What happens if I suck all the ink out of the printhead? Won't that damage it in any way? I know you can suck ink back into it via the bottom puller, but I'm thinking more along the lines of ink not flowing into a few nozzles, thereby "ruining" the printhead.