Strange problem with Canon Pixma iP4200

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My fault, of course I cannot use a thin cartridge where the thick one goes. I didn't have the printer here when I asked at first. Because I haven't got any empty PGBK cartridge I think my only choice is to empty one of the full ones. It is the fluid that I will take out, right? Then I put windows cleaner with ammonia in the cartridge insted and run some cleaning cycles. Is that correct?

Thank you in advance
Johan

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't think you need to make a cleaning cartridge. Please reread my link in post #5 and also read this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=25992#p25992

Like I said in the first link, your problem could be electrical in which case (unless it is a dirty contact on the back of the print head) you won't be able to fix it. But let's hope it's the other problem of "clogged" nozzles. Since the entire pigment black portion of the print head is not working, it is probably caused by a clogged purge tube. If this is the case, a cleaning cartridge won't help. You need to first clean the purge system. The second link will tell you how to do this.

Please try this and let us know how it works.

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Because I am not a native English speaker is it a bit hard for me to understand everything in your instructions (it is not your fault). But I guess I have figured out how to do. I have also found out that I should be able to use "Ajax Fnsterputs" (Ajax Windows Cleaner), so now I only have to buy it. I will report the results here later. If anyone have any more comments I would like to hear. :)

Yours sincerely
Johan

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
In the mean time, just use water. And make sure the Ajax window cleaner is not a foam type. It needs to have the consistency of water--very light.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Here my formula which can be used to clean your cartridges/printer:

-3 % glycerin
-20% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)
-distilled water up to 100 %

To this solution you add 10 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml. Will keep for years when well sealed.

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers!
I put some drops of Ajax Window Cleaner on the purge pads in the printer and cleaned the printhead output section with Ajax and a lint-free cloth. I also put a drop or two on the printhead's input for PGBK ink and dried the overflow up with the cloth. Then I closed the cover, waited until the printhead had parked and opened the cover again and repeated this procedure a few times. I connected the printer to the computer and made a regular cleaning and a nozzle check. The PGBK ink worked! :D But, the horizontal lines in the grid is tilted downwards to the right. I executed the print head alignment but it didn't help. I am really thankful to you because you helped me to solve the problem with the PGBK ink, and I would also really appreciate to get help with this new problem too.

Thank you in advance
Johan

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Does the nozzle check look something like:

Nozzle_Check.jpg

If so, the "rotated" horizontal line are normal. Each small horizontal segment is coming from a different nozzle. If you see that any are missing, that means a nozzle is clogged.

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, it looks exactly like in the picture above! I thought it was something wrong, because the picture that shows up on the computer after the nozzle check haven't got this rotation. Thank you very much, I think the printer works normally now! :)

Yours sincerely
Johan