Strange problem with Canon Pixma iP4200

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently got a Canon Pixma iP4200 from a friend and the printer has a strange problem. When paper type is set to "Plain paper" in the printer driver, no black PGBK color is printed att all. When I change paper type to "Other Photo Paper" the print quality is perfect. I don't know a lot about this printer, why does it have two black ink cartridges? I hope you kan help me!

Thank you in advance
Johan

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You have just discovered the answer to your question. The big black cartridge contains pigment black ink which is used on plain paper where it won't smear if the printout gets wet. The thin black cartridge contains dye black ink for use on photo paper where it is absorbed into the paper (just like the colors) to make a non-smearing printout. Of course the dye colors are also used on plain paper but they will smear if you get your printout wet.

You need to do a nozzle check and see if you get any output from the top grid pattern. Check to see if you removed the tape from the top of the cartridge. Try a different cartridge and do a head cleaning on the pigment black ink.

You should not attempt to print on plain paper until you get this fixed or you run the risk of burning out your black nozzles.

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello!

Thank you for your answer!
The nozzle check prints no PGBK color at all. I have tried replacing both black ink cartridges and I have also performed the "light" cleaning with no success. I have not tried the deep cleaning yet. Do you recommend me to do that?

EDIT: Deep cleaning didn't help. What to do?

Thank you in advance
Johan

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
lbs129:

One of several scenarios probably exist.

1) The PGI-5 Pigmented Black ink cartridge is not delivering ink to the printhead. If this is a brand new cartridge, one you just bought and opened up, then this is not the likely issue. If the PGI-5 cartridge is old, such as one laying around in your home after being opened up and exposed to air for days/weeks, or, the cartridge came with the printer and is of unknown age and stoage conditions, then try a brand new cartridge.

2) There is a plug of PGI-5 Pigmented Black ink that has clogged the printhead. This forum lists numerous ways of clearing plugged up printheads. Scan the thread titles or do a search on cleaning printheads.

3) The prinhead is burned out for the PGI-5 Pigmented Black ink portion, probably due to someone trying to print over and over again and no pigmented ink flowing, causing the printhead to burn out because of ink starvation. The only solution for this is a new printhead.

The IP4200 is a great printer, worthy of salvaging, even if you have to buy a new printhead, in my opinion.

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! :)

I will see if I can get some isopropyl alcohol to clean the printhead with.

Yours sincerely
Johan

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I was really pointing you to my answer on the link, not the question. I do not recommend alcohol. I recommend Windex or other light soapy window cleaner, especially one with a slight amount of ammonia in it, maybe one made for automobile windshields.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr's information is totally correct.

If you do have a used, empty PGI-5 lying around, try putting in some Windex with ammonia into it, and running 2-3 cleaning cycles form time to time.
The printhead might be burned out, but it IS possible that it can be rescued.

lbs129

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers!
I have no empty black ink cartridge, but the yellow one is nearly empty. Will it work if I move it to the right place? Also, here in Sweden I can't find Windex, will it work with any window cleaner with ammonia?

Thank you in advance
Johan

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You cannot use a thin cartridge where the thick one goes, it just won't fit.

A window cleaner that is clear and light, like water, but soapy and maybe with some coloring added is what is available in the US. I've read that the product called Windoline is thick and not useful. I'm suggesting that maybe an automobile windshield cleaner might work but I haven't heard back from anyone in a European country if that looks like it might work.