Standard Garden lamp Mk.3

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow @The Hat it looks amazing! You should be really proud.

I just hope it holds up to Mother Nature. She can be quite temperamental and has a strong desire to attack anything man-made!

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Looks great! Has Ted christened it yet :celebrate

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Latest update on my ill-fated Lamp standard..

We’ve been having a lot storms, I mean lots, I’ve lost count of how many, because they’ve been rolling in off the Atlantic about 1 every 3 day or so, and last night’s finally got the job done. :(

The top half of the upright column just snapped off almost clean, it was where the 8mm bolts were holding it altogether, the best way to described the scene was like a bomb hit it.
When the Feckin storm passes, it’s usually the tail that causes the damage, they come in right off the sea, (Like a curve ball) gusting between 80 to 130k…

The top half of the lamps are on the heavy side and withstood everything the storms could hit it with, so I can take comfort from that, and I just need to design a better way of attaching the two parts together. Now it's onto designing Mark lX…

:(
P1010887.jpg P1010884.jpg click to enlarge..
P1010885.jpg P1010886.jpg

P.S. It took a lot to topple her this time.. Must do better…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:somad:hit

What a mess! Frustrating.

Amazing that none of the lightbulbs broke. Are they the plastic LED ones?

On the bright side, the lamp pole is still there for Ted to aim at. 🐩

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, that must have been some storm!

How much of it is salvageable to be directly used in Mark lX?

Is there opportunity for reinforcing some areas with metal? (plates, rebar, etc?)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I imagine if there is a stick on the ground Ted is happy. If Daddy The Hat throws the stick then Ted is ecstatic. :weee

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As the dust settles so to speak, a complete new approach is called for, instead of the top half being assembled on the ground as one piece, I’ve decided to attach each newly designed section to the upright column separately.

P1010747.jpg top.JPG click to enlarge..

This should make the completed top half more secure and less lightly to brake off when the going gets tuff, and if there’s an obvious flaw or problem, I’ll have the option of redesigning that troublesome section again.

Who could have taught that a garden lamp would need more maintenance and looking after than Ted would, he was running around the garden with a bulb in his mouth, his way of telling me the lamp was Fubar..

I’ve just ordered another 6 rolls of black PLA filament and that will give me the time I need to start making new pieces, only one of the lanterns could be saved, so there’s a lot of printing ahead, and I might even get it finished for Christmas.. 5 Weeks..

P.S. At least I’ll be sober for Thanksgiving, because I’ll be raising just the one glass in honour of @stratman great Mum..
I imagine if there is a stick on the ground Ted is happy. If Daddy The Hat throws the stick then Ted is ecstatic. :weee
Sticks are for chewing… Balls are for chasing..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ted... was running around the garden with a bulb in his mouth
HA! Made me think of Uncle Fester from the 1960's TV show The Addams Family. Probably not exported to Ireland.

tenor.gif