Sorry, still confused... (ink choice)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jopereira said:
IS ink would offer me more confidence as many forum members use them, but I'll take the chance with tintenalarm.de also getting positive feedback here (namely stratman).
I have not used any of the tintealarm.de products that I am aware of. I have read that they sell some well regarded products, though, such as KMP (some have said they have one of the best Pigment Black inks available), Jettec, and InkTec.

Druckerchannel has reviewed all the ink manufacturers for one Canon printer or another. Since I can't recall what their reviews said for all these inks, and Nifty-Stuff posters mostly seem to use IS or Hobbycolors inks, it might be a good idea to search for the reviews on Druckerchannel of the inks available on tintealarm.de.

I posted the link to tintealarm.de because you were looking for alternate sources of ink closer to where you live to save on shipping costs. Others had already supplied you with octoink.co.uk as a source for inks, which sells IS and KMP inks for your printer, plus "SquEasyFill Kits" and all the other things you will need for refilling happiness.

I use IS inks. I would not be adverse to trying any of the other inks listed in this post. One poster here, ghwellsjr, is not a fan of Inktec's pigment black ink. He believes it is prone to clogging print heads. (No mention of problems with Inktec's dye-based inks) A search on his name and that ink will eventually lead you to his testing on pigment black inks that may or may not help in your decision.

I understand this may be a bit confusing and overwhelming, but it can be simplified. If you are unsure about the best ink for you, buy a small quantity to try it out. If you are not thrilled with the choice, then you are not stuck with hundreds of milliliters of it.

Because I already use IS inks, I would purchase from Octoink if I wanted a European source. (I live in the USA and purchase my IS inks from Precision Colors on eBay out of Canada) If I needed all the components to start refilling, I would consider their refill kit which has everything you need to refill via the Durchstich German Method - inks, SqueasyFill bottles, needles, and chip resetter. I might ask if they would substitute KMP Pigment Black ink for the IS brand because I've heard good things about it, but it isn't a necessity since IS Pigment Black works well for me. If you are not going to use the Durchstitch Method for refilling, you will need something to plug the top hole you drill for the traditional top fill method. Octoink can help with this as well. While some prefer the traditional top hole refilling method, the Durchstitch Method is my choice.

Whatever you choose, I think you will be satisfied in the end with the savings and the fun in doing the job yourself.

*Disclosure - I have no financial relationship with any mentioned in this post. Octoink is run by Websnail and Precision Colors is run by Mikling - both are posters here on Nifty-Stuff.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman,

Your posts are very clear.
I has about to go to octoink (IS), but with KMP pigment black as you said. Not sure about SqueasyFill bottles since I shouldn't refill that much and seringes are ok to me.
You pointed me to tintenalarm.de (thanks) and they seemed to be very confident about their product - they sell KMP, Jettec,, etc. so I guess they still making money selling cartridges from these major manufactures, but they still prefer their own inks... :p

ps - I won't blame you if tintenalarm.de inks go wrong on me :cool: (after all, is my choice!)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
The best thing I have done for my refilling is to buy the SquEasy bottles...

Here is a comparison of bottles versus syringes...

http://www.octoink.co.uk/pages/SquEasyFill.html

They also work great for the German method and can be left in the tank while waiting for the sponge to absorb the first fill from the reservoir.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jopereira:

Whatever you decide, please let us know your experiences.

Just curious... what does "jopereira" mean? Is it your name or something from your country? Never been to Portugal but Lisbon seems a wonderful place to live.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
jopereira:

Whatever you decide, please let us know your experiences.

Just curious... what does "jopereira" mean? Is it your name or something from your country? Never been to Portugal but Lisbon seems a wonderful place to live.
I'll let you know for sure.

jopereira is "Joaquim O. Pereira", initials and last name.
Lisbon is wonderful for sure... in a 10-15km radius we have city, river, sea (beach) and mountains (Sintra). We have all but the money!!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jopereira said:
Lisbon is wonderful for sure... in a 10-15km radius we have city, river, sea (beach) and mountains (Sintra). We have all but the money!!
You also have wine, women and song! I love port wine, beautiful women, and good music. :)

You are a lucky man.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Youre always on about the drink stratman and theres nothing wrong about that but.
If youre looking for booze woman music and the craic try the little island just a little bit north of Portugal,
and I can guarantee you wouldnt be disappointed at all.. :lol: :cool: :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
stratman said:
One poster here, ghwellsjr, is not a fan of Inktec's pigment black ink. He believes it is prone to clogging print heads. (No mention of problems with Inktec's dye-based inks) A search on his name and that ink will eventually lead you to his testing on pigment black inks that may or may not help in your decision.
Just their original pigment black ink for BCI-3eBk and PGI-5Bk. I believe they fixed the problem with their new PGI-220, that's what I'm using now. Hobbicolors black pigment ink also has the same problem as the original Inktec.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Youre always on about the drink stratman and theres nothing wrong about that but.
If youre looking for booze woman music and the craic try the little island just a little bit north of Portugal,
and I can guarantee you wouldnt be disappointed at all.. :lol: :cool: :)
Let me guess... the women wear dental floss for swim suits? :p

If I'm going to learn the right way of enjoying adult beverages, I should probably come to Ireland for one of your fine drinking establishments. Then you can teach me the finer points of pints. :D

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ghwellsjr said:
stratman said:
One poster here, ghwellsjr, is not a fan of Inktec's pigment black ink. He believes it is prone to clogging print heads. (No mention of problems with Inktec's dye-based inks) A search on his name and that ink will eventually lead you to his testing on pigment black inks that may or may not help in your decision.
Just their original pigment black ink for BCI-3eBk and PGI-5Bk. I believe they fixed the problem with their new PGI-220, that's what I'm using now. Hobbicolors black pigment ink also has the same problem as the original Inktec.
Thanks for the info.

Did you ever try KMP pigment black. If so, which version - Universal or the more expensive printer specific version?