[Solved:] HP 678 cartridge prints only 6-7 pages on any given day after refill.

PrinterOwner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 1510
Printer: HP 1510
Cartridge: 678(black)
Ink: Prodot Prolite IP-HQ05-PK Black Inkjet Ink (pigment ink)

Hello,

I have refilled my HP 678 cartridge for the first time. In doing so, i performed the following steps:
  1. Took the cartridge out of printer.
  2. Removed the cartridge label.
  3. Dropped the ink slowly & gradually onto the sponge (instead of injecting it deep inside the cartridge (in order to avoid physical damage to sponge)(motivated by the mechanism of Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS)).
  4. Pulled back some ink when the cartridge began to overflow/ooze with ink.
  5. Put the cartridge label back on top of the cartridge.
  6. Put back the cartridge into the printer and tried taking printouts the next day.
The issue I'm facing is that I'm unable to print more than 6-7 pages on any given day using this refilled cartridge. 7th-8th page onwards, nothing is printed.

I have even tried pulling the label up from one of the holes to allow unrestricted air passage into the cartridge. But no breakthrough.

When put/rubbed against a napkin, ink flows out of the cartridge's printhead smoothly and from the entire length of the printhead.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem is well known with refilled combined sponge/printhead cartridges, both HP and other brands. It is most likely caused by an air bubble/ air lock in the print head chamber under the sponge(s). In commercial remanufacturing of these cartridges the air bubble is removed by centrifuging. For the home refiller a priming tool can often be used to remove the air bubble. Here is one intended for the HP678 cartridges.

PrinterOwner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 1510
Yup. It really seemed to have been the issue with air bubble. I used the suction pump and the problem was resolved.

How can i mark this thread as solved/closed?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In the old forum software the thread starter could edit the title, add tags and probably mark a tread as "[Solved]". See this thread.

Maybe it is done by editing and adding "[Solved]" to the title? You can still edit the title/headline in the new forum software.

PrinterOwner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 1510
In the old forum software the thread starter could edit the title, add tags and probably mark a tread as "[Solved]". See this thread.

Maybe it is done by editing and adding "[Solved]" to the title? You can still edit the title/headline in the new forum software.

Marked solved in the the thread title. Thanks again!