Soak Pro-100 Head

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When you print continuously the cartridges are stressed out and must perform perfectly in one go. Cartridges that are not in perfect condition can perform seemingly OK, as long as they are not asked to do so continuously. So bursts of printing followed by a period where the cartridge is allowed to recover and slowly restore the ink in the sponge and then asked to do a little printing and then allowed to recover can indeed perform OK. However if it was asked to empty the complete cartridge in one continuous priniing session then that cartridge could fail because of what everyone knows.....starvation. Come on Stratman, Many users do indeed get dozens of refills, my iP4500 has not been flushed for 3 years. It is used for maybe 2 minutes total each 24 hour period. Would I take the same carts for a marathon session. No.
Look at an MP830 printhead, now look at a Pro-100 printhead. Notice the travel distance? If there is starvation in the cartridge the continuous link of ink will break apart within the printhead much easier....leading to.. I will leave the rest of logic to the reader.

Understand, again, if the same ink was used in a perfectly new cart each time and not refilled numerous times, I would suggest ZERO problems would happen and the printheads would last much much longer. Now what a commercial printer will need to balance is the time required to refresh a set of refilled carts to virgin condition versus how much time he/she/neutral gender can get away with verus the cost of failure and downtime.

Similar thing for airplanes, how often should the plane be inspected for structural flaws? After each flight is not warranted. After two? Three? Nobody really knows but the amount needs to be within the bounds of when the engineers after cycle testing are confident failure will not occur but is within the range of some doubt. The number of refills should be chosen before any starvation occurs but not too low that it is impractical.

Ever heard of Brownian motion. I learnt that in High School in the 70's. I guess I was not playing with my smartphone during class in "hiskool". I don't what they are teaching today . But here is a wikipedia for Brownian Motion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_temperature

And also interestingly
https://issatconferences.org/content24/246.html

The above will answer questions about temperature effects.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
dye ink printers need far more attention and should be monitored constantly, it’s the nature of the beast….
I agree. But, not my question.

My comment referring to jimbo123 and the CLI-8 cartridge success remain intact. Jimbo did NOT refill when "Low", instead refilling after a cartridge was beyond "Low". He did not have to flush and refill due to ink starvation, the killer event we are warned about with cartridges designed after the CLI-8.

So, why are jimbo123's CLI-8's, and mine, more resilient than newer cartridges to mikling's dreaded dried ink scenario? Been wondering / asking for years.

:caf

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Many users do indeed get dozens of refills, my iP4500 has not been flushed for 3 years.
We need to have a common understanding of the parameters... which you have not stated.

Do you refill before ink in the sponged side is used up after the "Low" warning, you know, like you've recommended. Or, do you refill like I and jimbo123 did well after that, even up to the point eh cartridge is marked "Empty"?

If you follow your own refilling guideline then your results cannot be compared to jimbo's or mine.

Since I and jimbo did not follow your guideline of refilling before using only ink in the sponge and not the reservoir, my question remains:

What is different with the Pro-100, cartridges and/or inks?

You have mentioned one thing - the distance of continuous printing in a single direction of the Pro-100 is greater than the MP830. Agree that this presents a greater strain on maintaining ink flow.

However, continuous printing operations with the MP830, which jimbo did/does, essentially emulates the need for continuous ink flow just as in a Pro-100. At some point, carriage travel distance is less an issue as continuous printing occurs over time.

To be clear, I am not challenging the utility of your refilling guideline. I recommend it to people on this forum. But you have not yet adequately explained jimbo123's lack of ink starvation refilling experience:

Why did jimbo123 not experience the same starvation issues in the hundreds of refills without flushing all the while NOT following your refill guideline?

Ever heard of Brownian motion. I learnt that in High School in the 70's.
Yes, me too. Please clearly explain why you introduced Brownian motion into the discussion and why your refilling guideline did not apply to jimbo123. If you do not know then say it and stop this game of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

leading to.. I will leave the rest of logic to the reader.
Why would you type out 44 characters, including spaces but excluding ellipsis, instead of typing one 10 character word? Socratic method I get. That wasn't Socratic.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Since I and jimbo did not follow your guideline of refilling before using only ink in the sponge and not the reservoir, my question remains:
Hang on a second @stratman, don’t you and jimbo123 use the same German "Durchstich" refill method to refill, maybe that makes a difference, because if I let my carts go beyond low then I too have to flush them because they fail to maintain proper ink flow some afterward..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hang on a second @stratman, don’t you and jimbo123 use the same German "Durchstich" refill method to refill, maybe that makes a difference, because if I let my carts go beyond low then I too have to flush them because they fail to maintain proper ink flow some afterward..
Yes, we both use(d) the Durchstich Method which has been negated by Mike and others on this forum and elsewhere on the MeTubes. Yet, they never explain why the method worked so well for jimbo and me but not with newer printer model cartridges. And, wouldn't the exposed refill hole make the mikling guideline cautions even more noteworthy, if anything at all?

Regardless, the issue is continuing to print after the "Low" warning occurs, meaning you are using only ink left in the sponge thereby exposing the sponge to air, and includes refilling the cartridge after it is marked "Empty".

Why did jimbo not need to flush the cartridge after dozen of refills even though he did not follow mikling's refilling guideline? It ain't because of the Durchstitch method, otherwise you'd be a German Refiller, too. :old

As I stated before, I support mikling's refill guidelines, just not with the MP830, but expect him and others to clearly make their case against what jimbo and I have experienced and reported.

BTW, let's not forget that Mikling has said he tinkers with his inks. Maybe this has had an effect on potentiating ink starvation. Would be interesting to compare failure rates between his inks and webbie's for the same printer/color. :idunno

If wishes were horses...