setting up a dedicated Pro 100

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
CRW_4637.jpg
DSC00413.JPG
Yes this may be a beat to death topic, but i am unclear on the "setup Cartridge" requirements.
This past August we lost out little girl of 12 1/2 years and while still grieving, i have dedicated the picture printing of her memories to use a new printer i have and will be using OEM ink to obtain the best quality possible (using the Pro 100 as that is what i have), and to insure the best longevity.
Of course if i hadn't already had these printers i would go out and buy the Pro 1, but i have a vast investment in the Cli-42 sets of inks at this time (8sets) and will buy more.
I have 3 sets of the setup carts, and anticipate using all of them plus more.
I don't remember though, does the Pro 100 need "setup" carts for initial setup, or will the carts that come off retail shelves work for that too?

Again, i am sorry for what may already be answered, but this is a special print job that i will be doing for quite some time.......we have thousands of photos of here, and have bought a new computer, monitor calibration device and so on.

And posted here is Zoey.......the girl that killed us with her love. View attachment 4701 View attachment 4702

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What a little cutie patootie! May the memories and photos of your dear Zoey bring a measure of comfort.

I cannot specifically answer your question on requiring the Setup cartridges that come with the printer for initial installation, but, since you have them, use them for the set up. Then consider using your other OEM cartridges thereafter, since there have been reports of loss of intermediary ink monitoring - but NOT the typical "accurate" reporting of empty - after these Setup cartridges have been reset when one refills with aftermarket ink. This seems to be an issue with one type of resetter but may not apply to all resetters.

Since you are using only new OEM cartridges and not refilling, use the Setup cartridges initially.

I have read no reports of issues using new and different OEM Setup cartridges AFTER a Pro 100 has ALREADY been initialized with a previous/other set of Setup cartridges.

If you do try to initialize/setup your new never set up previously set up Pro 100 with non-Setup cartridges, or, try a different set of Setup cartridges after the initial set up of your printer, please let us know your experience - whether there were or were not issues.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thx for the replies........yes we miss her deeply. Never knew the pain of losing someone like this ever.

Anything i do in regards to photo albums are indeed a priority for extreme quality.
My only concern is with how these printers start up and whether or not to save a set of the setup carts if the body should fail and i need to setup another one.
Having bought a few just for the ink and heads, i am glad that no one wanted the bodies now.

I'll probably take one of the bodies and drop a set of the refillables i have converted with PC ink, and see what happens.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Finally found some ambition today to try this out.
Using a new body, i installed the head and set of refillable cli-42 (reset "setup") carts from my current pro 100 and fired it up.
Works fine, so i at least put to rest my question of whether or not this printer needs the setup carts that come with it.
Firmware version on new one is higher of course, and head alignment print comes out different, but final results from a picture file print the same.