Service Tools for Canon Printers

Printertrouble

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX395 2950 3650 4250
Hi All,

New to the forums here but hoping someone can lend me a hand.

I could use any advice relating to reseting waste ink absorbers on printers,
I can't seem to get any sort of joy no matter what processes I use out of my
4 printers. MX395 or MG2950, 3650, 4250.
Any advice would be gratefully received,
I have tried using a couple of methods but simply don't seem to be able to speak to these printer models,
Anyone know if I could get the correct service tool?
There is no way the Ink Absorber is actually full. I took a printer apart to check and realized there isn't even a sensor in there so it is running on a page counter or a cartridge counter!

Thanks
Printer Troubles

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Printertrouble, you may not be able to get into Service Mode on any of your printers, but you can still try by using this method.

1 With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button/sensor, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)

2. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)

3. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 5 times, and release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)

4. When the Power LED lights in green, the machine is ready for the service mode operation (nothing is displayed on the LCD).

Unless you’re able to enter service mode first, having the correct Service Tool won’t help in any way because this service tool only works on a printer that has entered the service mode condition.

The new practice now is when your ink absorber pads become full then you must return the printer to a Canon Service Agent, there is no way around it any more, if you can’t enter service mode yourself.. :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The known methods for entering service mode and the known service tools sadly don't work with the newest Canon printers. I guess your printers might be too new for entering service mode by known methods. But if the procedure mentioned by the Hat does not work, you could try a different number of pushing the Stop/resume button in step three:

3. While holding the ON button, press and release the Stop button 2 times, and then release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)

If this doesn't work then try 4, 5 and 6 times.

Here is an instruction
for entering service mode for the MX397 which I think is the same printer as the MX395, just for sale in Asia instead of Europe. Notice this instruction tells to press the Stop/resume button 6 times.

Printertrouble

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX395 2950 3650 4250
Thanks for the advice guys,
I have used it and I can say that I certainly seem to be able to access service mode on the machines,
however the service tool that I have is not communicating with it properly, 2400V
Is there another one available for more modern printers?
I have looked into cleaning but the costs are so very prohibitive!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here is the service tool V3600, again it will only work if your printer has actually entered service mode, so if you receive error code 005 or 006 from the Service Tool then your printer has not entered service mode and wont work.

Copy the zip file to your desktop and rename it service tool v3600. exe, don’t try and unzip it because it is not a zip file.
Service tool.PNG
This is how it should look AFTER you have renamed the File..

Be careful please because this service tool can be destructive so use it very carefully..

Attachments

• Service tool v3600.zip
    439 KB · Views: 19,673

Printertrouble

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MX395 2950 3650 4250
Hi The Hat,

Thanks for this,
I will give it a go,
Can I clarify destructive with you?
I.e. I need to store this in a computer with Anti Virus similar to Fort Knox,
Or that I just need to be when used in conjunction with the printer that I might toast it?

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Here is the service tool V3600, again it will only work if your printer has actually entered service mode, so if you receive error code 005 or 006 from the Service Tool then your printer has not entered service mode and wont work.

Copy the zip file to your desktop and rename it service tool v3600. exe, don’t try and unzip it because it is not a zip file.
View attachment 4415 This is how it should look AFTER you have renamed the File..

Be careful please because this service tool can be destructive so use it very carefully..

Hat,
probably very obvious (just not for me:plbb).....how does this tool work?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Can I clarify destructive with you?
I.e. I need to store this in a computer with Anti Virus similar to Fort Knox,
Or that I just need to be when used in conjunction with the printer that I might toast it?

No there are no security risks, after opening the service tool think before you click, if you don’t know what your doing then don’t click on that button, it can disable your printer permanently.
Hat,
probably very obvious (just not for me:plbb).....how does this tool work?
Here is a HOW TO regarding the service tool..

Attachments

• Service Mode & Tools Instructions.pdf
    299.6 KB · Views: 7,261

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Thanks Hat,

So if i'm reading things right, this tool will work once in service mode on the ip6600D and i900D i have, but Canon has got us blocked out when it comes to the Pro series such as the 100 i own.......sound right?

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Depends on the firmware I think....