Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Martin-

I'm not totally sure what you mean by the vent hole being enlarged. I think it is usually recommended not to touch the vent hole as the "maze" that comprises that hole is specifically designed to allow a certain amount of air to pass through. This is only what I've read, but from my own experience I've learned not to do anything to effect the vent hole. Everything I do is on the other side of the cart above the ink reservoir and I stay away from the vent above the sponge.

Hope that helps.

martin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Rob,

I have seen quite a few instructions which talk about enlarging the vent hole eg:

http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/instructions_canon_BCI-21_BCI-24_BC-20_BC-23.html

and some talk about enlarging the "fill hole" - eg:

http://atlascopy.com/instructions/ca40c3bk.pdf

Anyway, your answer has really clarified things for me, thanks very much. I was also interested to read that the vent hole has a "maze" under it: I had wondered whether I could insert an extremely fine hypodermic needle into the vent hole thereby avoiding the need to drill a hole, but I now realise it's not that simple. Equally, I shall disregard all instructions about enlarging the vent hole. Nevertheless, I can get hold of a tiny syringe with a very fine needle from the local pharmacy; that means I could get away with drilling a much smaller refill hole, which should be easier to seal. And maybe a fine needle will go straight into the fill hole (see the atlascopy link) without the need to drill. I'll have to see.

Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to clear up my enquiry.

Martin

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Martin,

I stand corrected! I guess in a few cases there are recommendations to modify the vent hole.... crazy! Thanks for the info and the link.

What type of cartridges are you refilling?

martin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dear Rob,

Like someone replied to me concerning some duff information about printer settings: "There is a lot of bad information on the 'Net and this site is full of it!"

I'll be filling the BCI-24 (Canon i455). I have not yet connected up the printer or fitted the cartridges. I have also got the refill ink, but until I've worked out exactly my refill procedure and am happy with it, it'll all stay boxed up.

Thanks

Martin

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Okay, it seems that the Duct tape ALONE isn't the best seal to use for cartridges. I had a magenta cart that I was testing out with just the duct tape and it slowly leaked and got wicked up into the yellow cart.

So, I'll continue using duct tape as a seal over a plug, but not by itself!

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
An idea that I have had for sealing the BCI cartridges is to tap two right angle spigots (the ones that MIS and colorbay sell for their CFS) into the top of the cartridge over the non sponge reservoir. A glue can be used as the spigots are screwed in to make sure thaey are sealed and secure. Connect the ends of the spigots whith an appropriate length of flexible silastic tubing so the it can easily pulled off.

When it comes to refilling just pull the tube off one spigot and use it to connect a syringe to and fill with ink. Connect the two spigots back together with the silastic tubing when completed.

Once set up - no sealant,tape,glue,plugs needed.

Anyone game to try?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
ocular,

Very interesting idea. I'm almost tempted to pull out one of my spare i560s to give it a try...

Right now though I'm subscribing to "if it ain't broke..." The last experiment I did with just Duct tape alone didn't turn out so well, so I'm done experimenting for now.

If you or anyone else tries this (or any other method) please post pictures. If you can't or don't know how, email them to me and I'll get them posted for you.

markhas

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've been refilling the BCI-6X's while in the printhead never removing them. After about 9 refills I have had no problems aside from a few over fills that where cleaned up with some tissue. Is this method heading me down some dark alley?

Markhas

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My understanding of the dynamics of filling these cartridges is once you open the cartridge with a hole - the vacum is gone and the ink will flow easily out of the exit port into the print head.

Would expect there to be a fair bit of leak out of the printhead whilst filling in situ. As long as you can clean this up then there shoudn't be any real problem.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I buy my rubber plugs from Sellink, they cost 15-Cents each, and I find them to be great.
http://sellink.ca/inkjet-refill-supplies.asp

I also buy my empties from AcuJetUSA, at $1.85 each. I prefer virgin tanks, so my ink is consistent.
http://acujetusa.com/Proddisp.asp?category=Empty Cartridges

ColorBat has a new spongless cartridge, which he sent to me at no charge for me try, and I was very pleased with it, but the cost is about $6.00 each, and it needs a non-standard size plug, maybe they are good for continuous flow systems, but I do not want to go mad looking for new plugs or taping them.

I hope this is of some help.

Robert