Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

martin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dear Sorensson

A couple of questions - well, 5 actually:

1. Why is standing upright after filling for 30 mins unnecessary with Canon cartridges?

2. What about wear/distortion of the seal at the outlet caused by removal and replacement of the cartridge for refilling?

3. Would it not be better to fill little and often rather than letting the ink run down possibly causing part of the sponge to dry out? This then possibly brings into question the effects of frequent disturbance of the outlet seal. But given the transparency of the Canon cartridge (or some of them?), how easy is it to avoid over- or under-filling i.e. to keep the ink at an optimal level?

4. Is it feasible, with Canons, to fill the cartridge in situ in the printer with the printer switched on (to charge the print head to prevent nozzle leakage)?

5. Your clamp idea is a great, but when using it on a 3-chamber colour cartridge, the walls of the middle chamber will not deform so the air pressure on release will not change in that chamber - have you noticed the effects of that in terms of post-fill leakage of the middle chamber?

Your thoughts on these questions would be much appreciated.

Martin

presch

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have used 3/8" round head stainless steel (important) self tapping screws to seal the filler hole on BCI-6 carts for some time now with no problems. To get a good seal it's important to make sure the screws are screwed down tight.

I also learnt the hard way about removing the top label - don't.

To temporally seal to outlet while filling I use a fat rubber band about 5/8" wide by 1" diam. Quick and dirty and works well

Peter

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Update:

The duct tape is working super well. I'm using it as my final seal over the little plug that came with the aftermarket cartridge.

I can refill an empty cartridge very quickly with this system... but I'm always up for faster and easier. I'm tempted to remove the plug and rely solely on the duct tape to seal my inkjet cartridge... but I have nightmares of an ink leak all into my printer. I guess it isn't as bad as a continuous flow system leaking into your printer! :)

hseeng

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
Update:

The duct tape is working super well. I'm using it as my final seal over the little plug that came with the aftermarket cartridge.

I can refill an empty cartridge very quickly with this system... but I'm always up for faster and easier. I'm tempted to remove the plug and rely solely on the duct tape to seal my inkjet cartridge... but I have nightmares of an ink leak all into my printer. I guess it isn't as bad as a continuous flow system leaking into your printer! :)

What about the foil type duct tape? The stuff that does not use threads. I have used it on other things and its pritty sticky. Since it is a metal, air will have a hard time pasing throught it. Thats why they coat the chip bags with it!

Comments?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I wonder if this is the same stuff that I've received with some of my Toner refill kits. It is like a aluminum backed tape right?

Well, the tests that I've run with the cloth duct tape shows that it is pretty air tight. I'd probably go through with my experiment, to use the tape by itself, IF I refilled more often thus saving me time during the refill process. As it is right now I don't refill enough (average once a month) to risk it.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Have you purchased the blue plastic plugs from Computer friends? I am using them in refilled oem carts and they seem to seal the hole where you punch the plastic ball into the cart quite well. One of the six carts doesn't seem to want to keep the plug all the way in so I press it down to seal and put a piece or scotch tape over it to hold it down. No leaks yet. You can buy these separately from them or they come in their complete kit - a bit overpriced in my estimation. based on my experience I recommend them. anyone have negative experience with these plugs?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
scotch tape... are you kidding? Of all the tapes I've attempted to use, it is right up there for the "WORST TAPE EVER" in the category of "Cartridge Sealing". Runners up were masking tape and electrical tape.

I'll say it again... that the cartridges I mentioned above are total winners! The clip and the easy to remove plug are wonderful. Alotofthings also sells replacement plugs for those cartridges.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The scotch tape is not meant to seal the cart refill hole. It merely holds the one errant computer friend plug down. For some unknown reason, the refill hole on this one oem cart is misshaped and the plug won't stay down without a bit of tape to hold it. It creeps up after I insert it fully. I could as well get a new oem cart, but this seems to work just as well. I refill at my desk (in a plastic storage bin to contain the occasional drip or possible accidental spill) and I happen to have a scotch tape dispenser on the desk. What is your experience with the Alotofthings inks that are in their carts? Although Neil includes them in the recommended list, I've seen a few posts that indicate some variance in color relative to the OEM inks. Are their plugs similar to the computer friends light blue plugs? If the colors are as good as MIS I will certainly order from Alotofthings as well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
fotofreek,

Ah... now I understand the scotch tape!

RE: Alotofthings. I don't know about their plugs vs. the ones from Computerfriends. The plugs they supply are made specifically for the carts they sell and are tapered to fit inside the tapered hole and fit flush with the top of the cartridge.

Overall I've been really happy with their cartridges and for the most part I've been happy with their inks. The only problem I've had is with bleeding from the black ink which you can see in my posts in the thread mentioned below.

I don't want to go too far off topic so we can continue the discussion here if you like:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24

martin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is the refill hole is the vent hole enlarged with a 1/16th drill or similar. If so, do you run into problems by sealing the hole completely? Or do you have to remove the plug for printing and replace it immediately afterwards in order to allow the pressure in the tank not to fall during printing?