Scanning

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
hmmmmp, having been a member for so long and i am not sure where to ask this lol, when people scan receipts and documents, what is the best way to save them and i am not looking to edit the scanned image, just occasionally to review and reprint if needed, i have been saving as a jpeg but then it wants to open via a photo editing program such as photoshop. what do other people do? using an MP990

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You can continue to do the same and save your scans as JPEGS to your desktop,
then just open Word and drag your JPEG onto the Blank page, resize it if you wish or not
but save it as a PDF file with the name/date from the receipt on it.

Make a new folder and call it New Receipts and drop all you new PDF’s in there for viewing
and safe storage, any time you double click on of the new receipts it will open in Acrobat only.

Finally and this depents on your scanner software of course, scan and save your receipt
directly to PDF format, good luck .. ;)

P.S. dont forget to delete the redundant JPEG file after you've finished.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
It looks like your default program to open jpegs is set to Photoshop. With Win7, right click on any jpeg file, then move the cursor down over "Open with", then left click on "Choose default program" when the new menu opens. Choose the program that you want to use as your default (e.g. Windows Photo Viewer) and you should be good to go.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
pdf was direction that i was looking at, just looking to see if there might be a better option,so the adobe is the route i will take thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I scan and save to a PDF file with the MP830. The Canon software has the ability to save as PDF. You can also adjust the final file size, in general, by adjusting Resolution before scanning and then by how much Compression you use after scanning during the step to save the image as a PDF.

After saving the PDF I will view the file and magnify the PDF image x3-4 to look for unacceptable artifact and then use a different compression on saving the scanned image again until the result is acceptable to me. Unless the PDF is a sensitive document that may be printed out later on for some legal proceeding or some other critical event, I find High Compression to be acceptable most of the time. What you find acceptable is up to you.