SC-P600 suddenly a blue color cast

Lesslemming

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
SC-P600
I checked the paper profiles (EPSON semigloss and luster) and they have not been modified according to the file details. I did not install a new printer driver and I don’t think I have it set to auto download. A driver update gone wrong is also out of question, because I get the same results on a different Maschine with completely new driver.

I currently see three possible causes:

1. One or multiple cartridges somehow do not work or are defect
  2. My printer indeed simply has a mechanical failure now
  3. And this is intriguing: My printer has always been printing with a blue cast. For some reason, in ABW it somehow didn’t.

Why #3? I never, ever got ICC profiles to work. All ICC on all papers always showed a blue color cast. I tried it multiple times and always returned back to abw for its superior neutrality. Indeed, the blue cast was not imagined, it was confirmed by friends who noticed cold skin tones or similar. I did not bother as I exclusively print BW anyways. But what if that was just the default, and the abw somehow was defunct and now it isn’t?

My time is running out for solutions, as I need to prepare new prints for my small exhibition. I will patch up my printer, accept that it is now mis-calibrated and adjust in ABW mode. It seems to work just dandy with my home made scanner curve I plotted from CMY values in affinity. My M+8 and Y+12 did a remarkable job :D

I hate to leave it like that but any other endeavour would likely involve a new set of inks which is just too expensive opposed to my quick fix. I hate the fix but at least it seems to work for now.

It is not unlikely that I will open up this discussion after a while with a fresh set of ideas. Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter so far. I appreciate it.

For future generations coming here from google:
If I ever find a solution for epson SC-600 printing cyan blue or green color cast or tint in ABW advanced black and white or color, I’ll let you know.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for your comprehensive feedback, I think you can work with a corrective bias in the ABW driver settings until the blue cast problem is resolved.

I never, ever got ICC profiles to work. All ICC on all papers always showed a blue color cast. I tried it multiple times and always returned back to ABW for its superior neutrality.
Does this mean that you got that color cast already earlier, and not just since 2 weeks ? That's irritating, a standard icc-profile may not give you the best grayscale prints unless it is specifically enhanced for BW mode but should at least should deliver you an average gray tone.

There is another question not addressed yet - which color space - sRGB or AdobeRGB - are you using with your image files when editing and assigning to them ?

Lesslemming

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
SC-P600
I always had my suspicions regarding a blue color cast when I used the printer in color mode. I never confirmed it because the ABW provided good results for years. But on occasion I tried it and it always resulted in a slight blue color. Not as bad as it is now, though. But when compared side by side it was noticeable. Doesn't explain the sudden change in ABW, of course.

I used a variety of color spaces. I exported the images from C1 in 2.2 Generic Grey and also tried adobe RGB. I printed the DNG directly from within C1 (so only the unspecified working space of C1 is applied).

(https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002479197-Colors-in-Capture-One)

Of course I printed the test charts from the web without importing them into any photo software. I printed them exactly the way they were downloaded from Epson Layout.

I will try to get in touch with my local printing service and see if they can create a custom icc for one of my paper types to try for BW. I understand this is not necessarily the best option, though. Is there something I could ask for when creating a custom ICC profile for BW for my favourite paper?

By the way: Schöne Grüße aus Darmstadt! :)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I always had my suspicions regarding a blue color cast when I used the printer in color mode.
I am very interested in your colour dilemma, Question:; have you tried using another application not necessarily a photo App. to print out your test sheets.. Try printing on 4x6 size by cut and crop instead of A3 sheets.. Your hand has many fingers..

If you don’t resolve this it will come back and bit you in the bum later..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It would be a kind of very irritating if an Epson profile for an Epson paper printing on an Epson printer with Epson inks would create a strong color offset - a blue cast as you mention; we are chasing a parameter which is somewhere hiding like the color space - a hidden double profiling setting in the driver and some application/printing software or else . I don't know.

I will try to get in touch with my local printing service and see if they can create a custom icc for one of my paper types to try for BW. I understand this is not necessarily the best option, though. Is there something I could ask for when creating a custom ICC profile for BW for my favourite paper?
Just mention that you want to use the profile for B/W printing, most profiling software has an option for that adding control points along and around the gray axis. And if you display your prints under non-standard light conditions - like neon light - this should be mentioned, the profiling software needs input for the viewing light conditions.

Darmstadt - I had been there last millenium

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Took a look at your first posted image and see Magenta highlights in various places in the top image. The Black circles roughly represent where I see Magenta. Even the Blue image has Magenta highlights in the sky though significantly less than the top image.

Building Magentas.jpg

Lesslemming

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
SC-P600
Took a look at your first posted image and see Magenta highlights in various places in the top image. The Black circles roughly represent where I see Magenta. Even the Blue image has Magenta highlights in the sky though significantly less than the top image.

View attachment 13094
True, my initial prints had a slight magenta cast depending on the paper I chose, but nothing too serious.
The current prints do not have this magenta cast, it only appears that way due to the cheap flatbed scanner I used

Lesslemming

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
SC-P600
Question for the pros:

Let's face it, most likely I have a problem with one of the inks.
As far as I could gather, ABW utilises PK, LK, LLK, VLM, LC and Y.

I replaced the following inks since the problem started:

LK, LLK, VLM

If I had a faulty cartridge and replaced it, how long would it take until I would see an effect. Like do I have to print 1 or 2 solid A4 color patches? 10? I don't know

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I would not expect the light black colors LK and LLK causing such a strong blueish color cast, and light magenta should barely print at all.

1. My printer has always been printing with a blue cast. For some reason, in ABW it somehow didn’t.
That's what is complicating the matter - why couldn't you even print somewhat decently with a icc profile at all, there is something which started earlier than 2 weeks ago.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
For clarity, does everyone think OP's nozzle check is proper? I still do not.