Samples needed for a fading test

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Dear forum members,

We are currently running some fading tests (using both light and ozone) on various ink/paper combinations commonly used by the refillers on this forum. In addition to 23 sample combinations that we have already generated, we need two identical 4x6 prints of a test chart (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/img/files/Fade_Test_Chart.jpg - sRGB embeddded color profile) printed with each of the 8 following combinations to provide some baseline information and to round out our tests:
1. Epson pigment based inks/Epson paper (rated at 100 years or more by Wilhelm)
2. HP ink/HP paper (rated at 60 years or more by Wilhelm)
3. Canon PPPro/Canon ink
4. Canon PPPro/MIS BCI-6 bulk ink
5. Canon PPPro/IS BCI-6 bulk ink
6. Kirkland 8.5x11/Canon ink
7. Kirkland 8.5x11/MIS BCI-6 bulk ink
8. Kirkland 8.5x11/IS BCI-6 bulk ink

We are limiting the tests to these inks (plus Formulabs, which we already have), and we are not interested in other inks/papers at this time. When the study is complete, the results will be published, along with the methods used to generate UV fading and to analyze the data so that others can run comparative tests on their own favorite combinations. Unfortunately, Fadeaway's ozone test is not something that can be replicated without a complicated setup and a lot of knowledge. Because ozone can be poisonous, even at relatively low concentrations, that test setup will not be disclosed.

Please reply to this thread (not by a private e-mail) if you are interested in supplying any of these samples.

Grandad35, Fadeaway, JV

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
When you say "supply us" you mean to print out the sample and snail mail you the photo, right?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Panos,

Yes - exactly. We need one printed sample for the UV test and one for the O3 test. We have found that a printed test pattern shows much more information than swab colored swatches.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Great post...I, for one will be watching this thread closely, since I want to increase my print business, and it would be very helpful to me.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Manuchau,

By way of a "teaser", here is the result of a 7 day light (UV) fading test on a Fuji Crystal Archive sample (rated at 60 years by Wilhelm). The left 1/3 is the original (unfaded) image, the middle 1/3 is the same image after 7 days in our light test, and the right 1/3 is the result of a Photoshop "Inverted Difference" between the two showing the colors that have been "lost" due to fading. Note that this sample faded predominantly in the cyan's. There is also some fading in the yellows, and very little fading in the magentas - almost exactly the opposite of what is being seen for inkjet inks. Note the light cyan gradient (the 4th bar up from the bottom) - it has almost completely faded away. Also note the red shift on the gray gradients on the bottom - indicating what happened to B&W in this test. The overall print density hasn't faded that badly, but without cyan the colors have shifted so that the print is unacceptable.

Our light/UV test method is simple, inexpensive and easily replicated by anyone at home. The downside is that our test is not calibrated to an "absolute" scale (years), but depends on a "relative" scale using comparisons between samples with an accepted lifetime and our test samples. Because of this, we need these additional samples for which there are accepted longevity values. If you have access to a printer with the reference inksets/papers, this is your opportunity to give something back to the forum. We also need samples of the other two major bulk inks (MIS and IS) to round out our initial tests (we already have Formulabs and WeInk BCI-7 samples). If you refill with either of these bulk inks, this is your opportunity to get information on their permanence for very little effort.

Grandad, Fadeaway, JV

Fade_2_U_168Diff.jpg

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi, Granddad...

I would be happy to send you prints of any image that you would find helpful. However, up to this point, I have printed 40-50 colour and B/W prints for customers with my i9900, and have only used genuine Canon inks, since I presume them to be the longest lasting, and I don't want to sell prints with cheap inks to customers.

As far as I know, MIS inks are unavailable in Canada, although I do have sample inks from Formulabs, which I use in my ip3000 for personal use.

Another question other than fading which is important to consider, I think, is which of the test inks is less likely to clog printheads over time. You might want to publish people's experiences with this as well.

Send me your address, and I'll do some printing for you using Formulabs ink.

Thanks

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It looks like we have lined up everything except the long-life HP ink/paper combination. Is there anyone who would like to contribute a sample printed with Canon ink/paper on their new printers with the chipped carts?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Manuchau,

Thanks for your contribution.

The tests are going well, and I am sure that this information will be useful to many here on the forum who are interested in improving their print longevity. Some of Fadeaway's initial test results on ozone fading blow my mind. It is hard to believe that there could be such immense differences between various samples.

One of our goals is to supply a comparison of fading between various inks and papers used by us refillers on Canon printers and samples produced on printers rated by Wilhelm. To do this, we still need samples using HP ink/HP paper (with a 60 year or greater rating) and a new Canon printer using BCI-8 carts. Is there anyone out there who can supply these? Maybe you don't have such a printer, but you know someone who does. These samples would be greatly appreciated and will be of great benefit in providing reference points for our tests.