Resetting the region on a Canon MG7450

PhoenixGB

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7540
Hi noob here, hoping u printer geniuses can help me.

I lived in Dubai for 12 years and bought a Canon MG7450, apart from the ridiculous cost of ink there ( and everywhere) it was a really great a bit of kit, perfect for the photos I used to print.

We moved to Spain last year and not knowing that Canon screw us on regions brought it with us, suffice to say the local 551 cartridges while the same size get a 'nope' from the printer.

I have managed to secure the Canon Service Tool to try to change the region to Europe (not sure if i am making a mistake, prob am) but it returns Error 006. I think i need to place the printer into Service Mode but it's a touchscreen and I just can't figure it out.

So the questions are, can it be placed into service mode and will the tool (which does detect it as an MG7000 series printer) reset the region so i don't have to bin it and buy what seems to be a lower spec. equivalent. My only option is buying from the middle east and shipping in.

I bought a cheap Epson as a stand-n and I HATE it, what a piece of junk!

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Kev

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Changing the printers region with a service tool will not change the region of the needed cartridges. Instead you need to reflash the EEPROM with the content of an EEPROM from an MG7450 if your printer is an MG7440. This will change it into an MG7450 that uses the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges. See this thread about a similar problem.