Resetting the Compatible Chip & Unclog Photo Black

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Today, I purchased an used MP830 from a local seller. It has a CLI-8M compatible ink cartridge. My chip resetter cannot reset this "compatible' chip. It looks different from the Canon chip. Anyone have similar experience.

Is compatible chip be reused? If yes, how?

Edit: Title changed to reflect the discussion on the second half of this thread.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Some of the "compatible" CLI-8 chips are not resetable with the Sudhaus-type resetters and the overall usefulness of these carts for refilling in general is questionable.
Foam is inferior, venting is inferior.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
If you want to avoid potential problems you should use and refill only OEM cartridges.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think I know the cause of the clog on this AIO. The previous owner uses compatible ink cartridges. The first nozzle check shows the photo black is completely missing. The yellow is partially clogged. It came with a compatible yellow and magenta cartridge. The previous owner did not refill his cartridges.

I was able to unclog the yellow by using a Canon yellow cartridge.

Although it came with a Canon photo black cartridge. The previous owner may have used a compatible photo black cartridge which caused the complete blockage on the photo black. Since it is very difficult to put Windex on the purge pad of an AIO, I put a few drops of Windex on the exit port of the photo black and did a head cleaning. Let it sat overnight. This morning, the first nozzle check is perfect. But the second nozzle check show streaking on the photo black. There is flow problem with the photo black. But where?

1. The restricted flow may be due to partial clog at the print head.
2. There may be a flow problem at the photo black cartridge. It is a newer Canon CLI-8BK cartridge with the BLACK ink reservoir. But I can see the level against the bright light. No refill hole on any of the cartridges in this AIO. Anyone experience with the flow problem with the new Canon cartridge.

I think the print head is partial clogged. The previous owner may have put in a compatible photo black cartridge with "pigment" ink, instead of dye ink, which caused the complete blockage of the photo black nozzles.

I put a few drops of Windex at the exit port of the photo black again and let it sits overnight. Will report the result tomorrow.

I love to know if you have other conclusion. Thanks

4064_mp830.jpg

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
This not a clog but a flow problem, I had this too on my PGI-40 cartridge. Flush the cart and refill it with new ink.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile said:
This not a clog but a flow problem, I had this too on my PGI-40 cartridge. Flush the cart and refill it with new ink.
But this photo black (CLI-8BK) is a genuine canon ink cartridge with no refill hole. This may be a re-manufactured cartridge using vacuum fill. But the label on top is Canon label. I will try a good CLI-8BK from my iP4500. Thank you for your input.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Since there is a problem, I would not use the cartridges that came with the printer until you:

1) Determine that the printhead is not the problem first - use NEW OEM Canon cartridges or a KNOWN working refilled cartridge (preferably a Canon cartridge).

2) Then flush and refill with fresh ink any cartridges that came with the printer to see if they work.

3) Optional - Use any working cartridges that came with the printer until the ink is gone. You probably won't have good color reproduction, but if it's OK with you, then fine.

You did not say if you ran a couple of cleaning sessions via the software. If you have not, Alternating Cleaning session with Nozzle Checks 2 times. If there is still no improvement, then try a Deep Cleaning. The instructions for this are listed under the Maintenance tab in the printer software.

Maybe it will work, maybe it will not. Won't take much effort and probably won't worsen the situation either.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile & stratman,

I switched all my known good cartridges from my iP4500 to the MP830 AIO. I did cleaning as well as deep cleaning between nozzle checks. The photo black is now missing. This is same as the first nozzle check which I did right after I took it home yesterday.

4064_missing-photo-black.jpg

If I put a few drops of Windex at the exit port of the photo black cartridge, did a cleaning and let it sit overnight, I got the result described in the post #4 above. In other word, photo black is missing in the nozzle check if I use a photo black cartridge without diluted with Windex.

Do I have a flow problem or a clogged print head?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Another possibility: the ink inlet rubber is not sealing well, causing the printhead to suck in air. So just check if the rubber ring has any indentation where air might leak in.....One can use a piece of wood to ensure the cartridges are fasten well into the printhead.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Another possibility: the ink inlet rubber is not sealing well, causing the printhead to suck in air. So just check if the rubber ring has any indentation where air might leak in.....One can use a piece of wood to ensure the cartridges are fasten well into the printhead.
There is no visible damage to the photo black screen and the O-ring. I placed a price of thick card board between the top of ink cartridges and the printhead lever to make sure the cartridge and printhead has good seal. It is still missing the photo black after a few cleaning/nozzle check cycle.

Possible explanations:
1. The clog at the photo black nozzles does not let the ink go through without dilution with Windex.
2. The Windex, sitting inside the nozzles overnight, dissolve some of the clogged ink. When the dissolved ink runs out, no more photo black coming out.

If the photo black nozzles are clogged, why the photo black ink level went down with each head cleaning? With the photo black ink disappearing, the purge system is working properly.

Time to try some heavy duty unclogging procedures. But at the mean time, keep your comments and suggestions coming. Thanks

I will try ghwellsjr's procedures first before taking the printhead out for unclogging. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=17971#p17971

ghwellsjr, what is the purpose of the steps by replacing the full tank with an empty tank?