Resetting of some carts on Epson Pro 3880, blocked in software?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
@Roman (sorry no kyrillyc lettters on my keyboard)

This is from 2015, when this resetter already did fail:

Just for the record:
- my first 3800/3880 resetter is called "WT-080" ("WT-3800E" on the package) but on the instruction paper there is no model 3800/3880 to find. Logic board: "resetor B500 / rev B" (no QE-xxx there..!). Trouble with LK LLK VM.
- my second has no label or paper, even the package is white.
Logic board reads: "QE HRYHJ"

Now I would like to see the logic board of the "QE-589" resetter ... if it reads the same as my second resetter..

See the previous and following posts of this for the one resetter that did work.

And NEVER do update any firmware! NEVER ... at least not deliberately...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800. Epson L800
Isn't there a tricky limit with some Epson chips - you only can reset them if their ink level is not below some level of 15% or 10% ? And if you let the ink level drop further it won't reset anymore. What is the current ink level stored on those cartridges/chips which you can't reset anymore ?
I'm not sure about 10-15 percent, I think I've seen chips that were reset near zero, or even zero. It was the Epson 4450. maybe 3800 works differently? But still, I found chip LLK and it has 31% and I can't reset it too.
I think I need another resetter, but how can I understand will be it working or not?

And NEVER do update any firmware! NEVER ... at least not deliberately...
Ok, understand.

sorry no kyrillyc lettters
No problem, I need learn English and I need more English)

Now I would like to see the logic board of the "QE-589" resetter ... if it reads the same as my second resetter..
Finally, I found QE589 on Ali - it will be working?

Roman

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
The resetter from posting #14 (the second) and the same from posting #18 (Harry Briels JToolman) is still working on my 3880. But it wasn't updated since I bought it (used around 2015) and my newest cart expired around 2016 I think

But with resetters you will surely never be sure... because Epson don't like them..

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
I recently noticed on the Epson website some of the drivers are no longer available as standalones and some seem to become part of the Windows updates. If Epson has gone to that method with "Microsoft's Update Tuesday," I could see it disabling the resetable chips (per Jon Cone's emailed newsletter about the new drivers disabling the chipped printers.) without one knowing. Dunno, but be careful!

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I ran into this issue but I have my own method how to solve it. Just curious to see what others have come up. The issue is when you change out ink, just even take it out to weight and putting it back, some or all cart are not longer detected. The way to fix it to to reset the printer. This method can also reset the maintenance cart even if you have only one maintenance cart: no swapping. The concept is every time the printer shutdown, it keeps the memory of the last chip serial? number. (learned this for milkling's posts) The way to get it out of memory is take the cart(s) out. Shut it down. Turn it on with nothing insert. Let it fully boot up. Then shut down again to register no serial in all cart(s)+maintenance in memory. Then turn it on again and let it fully boot. Re-insert all cart. It will now detect the proper chip reading. You can do this for one, a couple, any amount, or all carts.

On the resetter side, I have really good luck with my first resetter (QE 589 on ebay). I just got two more from Aliexpress (not QE 589). It won't reset LK, VM, and VLM. It reset everything else, lol. Go figure for me being cheap!

Btw jtoolman, I am one of your fan. I have been learning a lot since October 2017. At one time, i owned all the Epson 8 ink color printers that was ever made, lol. It freaked out my wife. I blame Craigslist for allowing me to help folks out! :p But then I show her your video of your print room, roflmao!

martin_k

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson Pro3800
Stormlight - you're the man. Thank you very much.

I have run into the same problem with resetting carts - I was able to reset maint cart but was unable to reset ink carts. Except cyan! Which was strange for me, because I have never experienced this type of problem. How can I reset only cyan and maint cart but non of the other 9 colours. Ink carts were showing 40-85%

my resetter is QE589 with B5000DN board
printer fw is 1.00.800E

My thinking was - when I am able to reset maint cart and cyan cart, maybe my batteries in resetter are low on capacity. So I bought 3 new AG3 batteries and tried it again - wait for green light to go off and... nothing! cart was still showing its previous amount.

But then I have tried Stormlights method with removing all carts, power off, power on, power off, power on, insert carts and voila - all carts are showing 100%

PS: @jtoolman - than you for helping me out back in 2017. greetings from slovakia

Latest posts