Resetting of some carts on Epson Pro 3880, blocked in software?

Birdie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Hello

I have a 3800, and I put in Ink Republic refillable carts. I have not been able to get it to acknowledge the carts as full. I got the QE 589 resetter from the same dealer in Florida, and it did reset my main. cart (I had the original and a new one and was getting error messages from both - open/close main cart door etc) and it worked to give me a red and green light and got me finally past the main. cart error messages....

But now ALL the carts read as empty. I can't get the QE 589 to go green on the ink carts. The chips are from the original 2009 epson carts and when I switched to Ink Republic, it must have been in 2010 or 2011. Never got it to work and am now giving it a new whirl.

Is there some place I can get fresher chipsets? Or send these out for resetting (if possible - I have no idea if they were at or below 15% but I think I have the old carts).

Further, I have the new mid-2015 MBP and has anyone been using the latest macbook pro with yosemite with their 3800's? I gather perhaps I should run it off the old G5 PPC running 10.4. and the old firmware for the 3800 in there. ?

I seriously need to start making prints and need help. Thrilled you are all here.

Cheers

Birdie

West Hollywood, CA

Harry I have that resetter it is marked QE 589 I need to open it and see whether it has the same logic board. But I have to tell that this is the one I purchased from a site on Pompano Beach Florida!
Didn't you get that one as well?

I've tried to reset some of my Empty no longer resettable by my resetters and it did not reset so the printer would accept it. Oh well.
At least I do have 5 fully reset sets of carts all modified and ready to be filled.

Joe

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
@Birdie
It must be Epson trying to make it impossible to use re-filled OEM carts?
The first thing to watch is when the green light comes up when resetting, to keep it like that until the green light extinguishes.
I had a problem that after a successful reset the former ink level on the LCD was still shown.

I tried the following:
Took out of the printer all carts that had been resetted (did show the green light) but didn't show full on the LCD.
Closed the ink cover, switched off the printer and disconnected the main current.
Waited approx. 15 min, reconnected the 3880, switched on the printer, opened the ink cover, did put back all resetted carts,
closed the ink cover and then all resetted carts showed a full ink level on the LCD.

I hope this works for you too!
Harry

Harry Briels

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON Pro 3880 & Canon MX925
@Birdie
You asked: "Is there some place I can get fresher chipsets? Or send these out for resetting (if possible - I have no idea if they were at or below 15% but I think I have the old carts).
I tried hard to find chips to replace the OEM chips on the Epson carts. So far I haven't found any.
What you can do is buy empty carts on Ebay.
These will come with the chips attached.
A set of 9 empty carts doesn't come cheap: somewhere around $75,00, if you can find them.
I found some people that offer these cart on a Belgium Forum and I am trying to find out what their prices are.
By the way on my new Pro 3880 I use old carts from my 2009 pro 3800, without a problem so far.
The complete 2015 ink set that came with the new Pro 3880 r is still unopened.

Finally so far, I noticed that resetting carts that are totally empty and therefore are under the "15% ink level", is no problem at all..

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I am also a 3880 user! In addition I have to confess to being a compulsive refiller.

On the day I opted to refill I accepted that Life as OEM ink Users lived it was no longer for me :hit

Its vital to gently rock the Refill carts from time to time, so I piggy backed two actions. Neither of them take any energy at all. First step is I open the cover and remove a cart, then I LOOK at it at the same time I gently rock the cart. Like regular OEM users I have to replace carts as they empty...(this happens you know, its the downside of printing)

My research and practice have resulted in:

Always know what my refill carts are doing and when they need care.
NEVER run out of ink
Don't use Maintenance Tanks any faster than others....I am on my second one in four years.
Feel connected to my printer :celebrate

Could not give a STUFF what the Epson Ink level indicator says, I have a life to live:weee

Birdie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
I will give that a try - but I tried the resetter and was not able to get past the red lights. It did work on the maintenance cart. That went to green and reset it.

The ink carts are a different matter. I wonder if the PC board is different. I got it off the eBay guy in Florida. The QE 589. I think Joe has that one too, and he also couldn't get a green light to come on with the carts.

Which resetter do you have that worked on the ink carts?

Thanks so much - this has been such a problem.

Birdie

@Birdie
It must be Epson trying to make it impossible to use re-filled OEM carts?
The first thing to watch is when the green light comes up when resetting, to keep it like that until the green light extinguishes.
I had a problem that after a successful reset the former ink level on the LCD was still shown.

I tried the following:
Took out of the printer all carts that had been resetted (did show the green light) but didn't show full on the LCD.
Closed the ink cover, switched off the printer and disconnected the main current.
Waited approx. 15 min, reconnected the 3880, switched on the printer, opened the ink cover, did put back all resetted carts,
closed the ink cover and then all resetted carts showed a full ink level on the LCD.

I hope this works for you too!
Harry

Birdie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800
Yes, that is the same one I have from the same vendor in Florida. It reset my maint cart but not the ink carts I tested it on. They stay red and no way to get them green.

Suggestions?

Yup! The same identical logic board.
I paid only $39 for it!
Joe

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The it has to be your particular cart chip????
But guys I just need to share this with you all. Maybe someone can explain why I can and others can't.

A gent from the UK who was also not able to reset his LM LK and LLK carts, send me his LLK chip via mail. I popped onto a spare LLK cart, hooked it to the QE589 resetter from Pompano beach Fl. Light turned RED then Green then OFF. And that is the important step here. you need to allow the green light or the resetter to finish encoding the chip and then it will turn off.

I then took out my own LLK out of my 2nd PRO3800 which was about 50%, inserted the cart with the newly resetted LLK chip and guess what? It displayed as full.
He could NOT get it to reset with any resetter he had.
If someone out there can explain this to me, I am all ears!!!
Is it my PRO 3800 printer that is magical and everyone else's is not????

Joe

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@jtoolman All you printers are just magical because of Pebkap, that’s your Professional experience between the keyboard and the printers.. :D

Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3800. Epson L800
Hello, guys!
Here's my little story.
I got the Epson stylus pro 3800, it was stay two years with the empty cartridge of LK, but it was almost new in appearance, and I tried to revive it. I didn't really hope that, but I'm pretty good at it. But there is one catch, the resetter which I bought here locally, doesn't dump chips of 3 colors - LK, LK and LM. I found your forum, and smart people who took it apart and looked inside. My receiver is marked "RESETOR-B500" on the Board, the firmware version of my printer is 573. The firmware version of the printer associated with the lock reset or not? Do I need to update the firmware or is it strictly prohibited? What resetter I need buy to make it work? Sorry for my English, and thank you for help!
E898B1F3-1838-4D6D-B1E2-7867A4D6A4AE.jpg

P.S. I found two dozen chips from original cartridges for LK, LLK and LM, but among them only 2 were not at zero. Now I have done several checks and one cleaning and I have run out of LM, but I really want to go further and start printing on it. IMG_0468.jpg
Any idea how to reset these chips?

Roman, Russia

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Isn't there a tricky limit with some Epson chips - you only can reset them if their ink level is not below some level of 15% or 10% ? And if you let the ink level drop further it won't reset anymore. What is the current ink level stored on those cartridges/chips which you can't reset anymore ?

Latest posts