Repeated clogging after repeated cleaning/deep cleaning

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Well I didn't bother myself w/cleaning out the cartridge, so I just put some photo black in. Unfortunately, the sponge gave me more resistance than I remember w/the other cartridges, and I seem to have displaced the sponge a bit :( I hope that doesn't matter.

And I printed about 20 pages of text and didn't get a single clog, although, it's possible I'd have to print a lot more, to find out. The result didn't look any different from the 3eBK that I printed last week.

So what should I do when this cartridge runs out again? Should I fill it w/the photo black or can I risk what's normal for that cartridge.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust
Thats great that you have sorted out your problems and are back printing again.
So what should I do when this cartridge runs out again? Should I fill it w/the photo black or can I risk what's normal for that cartridge.
You will have the choice (2) of refilling with the original pigment black or the BK dye black as you like to call it.
If you do go back to the pigment black you will have to purge the cartridge of the dye ink before refilling it.
Then if the same problem returns youll know how to fix it again quickly.

You can carry on using the BK dye black in definitely with no problems but only if youre happy
with its performance, why change if its not causing you any hassle at all.
Happy Printing..

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
The reasons why are academic, I guess. Like I said, I printed about 20 pages the other day and they were just fine. I'm hoping it's just a problem of old ink, but I just printed out 2 pages and they both have blank streaks on them. I'm not sure what to do. Kicking it to the curb is looking better and better, but I can't afford to do that right now.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PenguinLust
I think its time to give the 3eBK cartridge a good cleaning and then try it again ok.
What ink are you using for refilling?

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I wish hadn't put so much ink into the cartridge. It'll be a shame to have to lose it all.

And when I do clean it out, what ink should I replace it w/? I've got less than half my 6BK left (I'd say easily enough for one BCI-6 refill, which I will need to do soon) but I've not yet broken the seal on my 3eBK refill.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PenguinLust And when I do clean it out, what ink should I replace it w/?
You never said which inks you were using, so try these two.

http://store.inkjetcarts.us/ or http://www.precisioncolors.com

They are both highly recommended on this forum and youll be safe to go with their inks..;)
Dont be too worried about how much 6BK black you have left as it only gets used very occasionally anyway..

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I'm using Precision Colors. And 6BK does seem to go pretty fast. It's the colours that seem to have a lot of staying power. So when I clean, the BCI-3e cartridge, should I put in 6BK or 3eBK?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PenguinLust So when I clean, the BCI-3e cartridge, should I put in 6BK or 3eBK?
To get you up and running again quickly I would recommend you put the 6BK ink in your
big cartridge to achieve the best results at this stage, then if you are satisfied that it doesnt clog easily
and your happy with the print quality continue using it.
You can at a later stage if you wish refill with the 3eBK ink again.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
PenguinLust said:
I'm using Precision Colors. And 6BK does seem to go pretty fast. It's the colours that seem to have a lot of staying power. So when I clean, the BCI-3e cartridge, should I put in 6BK or 3eBK?
What paper type are you telling the printer that you are using?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printing with photo black ink in 3eBK is like driving a V6 with only 4 cylinders firing. It does get you going though. I recently dealt with a printer that has just about the exact same problem. The print head was repeatedly soaked for a few hours each time for 3 times but the symptom persisted. I sent the print head to another office to try it on another printer. With one soaking of 2 hours then a few cleaning cycles the clog was cleared and it worked perfectly.

The print head continued to work perfectly for a week then was sent back to the original printer in the first office. But the clog reoccurred again almost instantly. It was not caused by the 3eBK cartridge because it was already replaced with another that was a known good working refilled OEM 3eBK. I suspect that there may be a problem with the purge unit. But it did suck a lot of ink out of the cartridge and dump it into the waste ink tank because the 3eBK was emptied fast. The printer now works fine but with photo black ink in the 3eBK cartridge. I plan to retire the printer. It is an old ip4000. It is not much useful any more if it can't use the correct black pigment ink in the 3eBK cartridge.

I believe it is a clog in the print head for the symptom. I just don't have time to try to unclog it again with another printer in another office.