Repeated clogging after repeated cleaning/deep cleaning

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
It seems that the only one that ever clogs is 3eBK and it does it a lot, and sometimes cleaning makes it worse! I've got a Canon i860, and I've refilled some of the OEM cartridges, but not the 3eBK one yet. However, that cartridge is very old. My best guess is that that the 3eBK ink has these congealed chunks which repeated block the nozzle.
As you can see from a previous post, I've had this problem a while. This was a test pattern I printed for a different problem. I don't know if that black number in the centre is supposed to be 3eBK instead of 6BK, but clearly, a nozzle was having problems.
7470_test_pattern_scan6.png

Now what was happening over the last 24 hours really takes the cake. The more I printed, the worse the problem seemed. Last night I printed about 50 pages of pure text with sporadic cloggings from time to time, remedied by cleaning. Today, I tried another 50 pages, but I had blank streaks every 3rd page it seemed. So finally I went to deep cleaning. Deep cleaning made it worse! After I deep cleaned, I couldn't even print a single good page.

IJ24

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The choice of ink might have contributed to the problems that you are experiencing. I have experienced problems with printing and I gained greater satisfaction from the way I handle my printing tasks when I replaced the printer Ink.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I don't think that's what's going on here. Like I said, my 3eBK is OEM and I've not refilled it. But I do think it might be because the ink is so old.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Have you tried just printing some B&W text & tick the greyscale box in the printer preferences then the only ink used to print is the 3eBK cartridge. I'm not familiar with your test pattern so I don't know if it uses the 3eBK ink as the printer doesn't use it for any colour printing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust
First off I would suggest you dont print anything other than a nozzle check till you get your problem sorted out.
Next lift the lid of your printer and when the print head stops in the middle pour some Windex
(be generous) onto both purge pads located in the right hand corner of the printer.

Then close the lid and run a standard head clean, reopen the lid once more and check to see if the purge pads
are dry or still have some liquid on them.
Try that and repost back your findings and we can take it from there ok.. ;)

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Actually I've already tested my purge pads recently (if you'll look towards the pics at the end of that thread) with water. Is that good enough? Also a did a "service mode" request and it indicated that the "waste counter" was <50%. Is that the same thing?

I could click that checkbox for grayscale, in the case of what I was trying to do yesterday, it was a 100-page Word document, with pure text. That would imply 3eBK only ink, wouldn't it?

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Looks like ink starvation, I would try another 3e bk before you burn out your print head.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
It's definitely not a matter of starvation in the cartridge. Only yesterday was I informed that the ink in 3eBK was low, and I've had this problem ever since it was handed me down over a year ago.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ink starvation can happen with a cartridge right out of the box, the cartridge may have been malfunctioning right from the start, try another one to rule it out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PenguinLust
Try putting some dye ink into the pigment cartridge then do a head clean followed
by a nozzle check and see if there is any difference.. :)