Refilling Question

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman said:
Mikling's test is good but we should have more than n=1 sample, preferably from others and on different models, before making final conclusions. I recall people who reset the chip and began using the cartridge with no or low ink in the spongeless side did not report an expected low ink warning in a time frame one would anticipate if the prism was functioning. I'm not yet prepared to override numerous past reports on the forum without multiple new verifications.

Please keep your test going and report your observations The Hat.
OK here is another result of the chip versus the prism saga.
As I said much earlier in post# 11 that I had reset a near empty cartridge to full again and didnt put any more ink in it.

Well this afternoon while printing out a job the low ink warning popped up on this same cartridge.
One sheet earlier the on screen monitor which I was watching carefully showed this cartridge was full as expected
but dropped to very low once the yellow triangle appeared.

So the prism is alive and well and working perfectly on my CLI-8 cartridges.
mikling
Remember that there is a possibility that if the chip reading is showing full or close to it and the prism is reading empty, there could be an override logic. Not sure at all on this. However, when I reported on this initially, the magenta had done the same thing pretty high level maybe a little less than 50% then a low warning. The Cyan makes for a sample of two for me that was closely monitored.
The tank must be completely empty for the prism to work.
The only thing to watch out for is when doing this test for oneself is that youd need to make sure that there is no low ink warning showing
before you reset your cartridge, otherwise as stated by mikling the override may apply.

This was the second test that Id done to check whether the prism or the chip was actually in control of the ink,
now I can safely say that you can rely on the prism to notify you when the reservoir is empty once and for all.
Well I am convinced 100%..:thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Can you say how long it took from the time you reset the chip and there was no ink in the spongeless side, how many times was the printer turned on and off, and how many print jobs were done before the prism check kicked in? Also, can you weigh the cartridge and figure out how much ink was left in the sponge when the prism kicked in. Trying to get an idea at what point does the prism work.

The only thing to watch out for is when doing this test for oneself is that youd need to make sure that there is no low ink warning showing before you reset your cartridge, otherwise as stated by mikling the override may apply.
Are you saying before any warning whatsoever or a specific warning?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
good info all around. nice to know the prism is working in case i forget to use my resetter.

then again even after resetting i still manually check my ink cart levels, old habits are hard to break.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Thanks, mikling. The fact that the signal doesn't kick in right away explains why we all jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Another way to do some testing, for those so inclined, is to cover the optical sensor with a piece of black electrical tape so the printer will always think your cartridges have ink in the tanks as far as the prism is concerned. I did this for awhile and observed that sometimes when I refilled and reset a cartridge that the printer reported as low, the printer would not do an automatic prime cycle, but I'm not sure if it would have behaved the same way without the sensor covered.

I would have hoped that the printer would give a quicker low report in case you put in a full reset cartridge (or a brand new OEM cartridge) that then, for whatever reason, drained the ink out of the cartridge, as a protection against printing with no ink. Or what if you just reset a cartridge and put it back in the printer without refilling it? It would be very interesting to know the complete algorithm for how the printer keeps track of the ink level. It is so simple with chipless cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman
Can you say how long it took from the time you reset the chip and there was no ink in the spongeless side,
I dont actually know how long it was a couple of days, a week ?
how many times was the printer turned on and off, and how many print jobs were done before the prism check kicked in?
My printers are used daily and turn off automatically when not in use so I have no idea how many times this would happen in a day.
I would have printed dozens of times over that period but the printer was actually in the middle of a 25 sheet print run
at the time that the prism showed up with the yellow triangle and I finished all 25 sheets.
Also, can you weigh the cartridge and figure out how much ink was left in the sponge when the prism kicked in.
The cartridge weighs 15.4 gm. and still has ink left in the sponge but as to how much is anybodys guess, however I wont be using it till I refill it again.

Trying to get an idea at what point does the prism work.
If you take your OEM cartridge out of your printer and just reset the chip to full again at a point
where the ink level is showing low in your cartridges reservoir.
Are you saying before any warning whatsoever or a specific warning ?
But make sure to do this before you get any on screen warning/messages then despite the chip now registering a full cartridge
youll still get the customary low ink warning later during your print run..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
The cartridge weighs 15.4 gm. and still has ink left in the sponge but as to how much is anybodys guess, however I wont be using it till I refill it again.
From a poster a long time ago:
One full Canon CLI-8 cart = 0.95 ounce

One empty Canon CLI-8 cart = 0.51 ounce (14.46 grams)
Weight of residual ink = 15.4 g - 14.5 g = 0.9 grams

How much does one milliliter of ink weigh in grams?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Hat said:
stratman
One gm. = One ml.:thumbsup
That's only on a rough basis.

It actually varies by color.
Yellow dye ink is densest.
Pigment inks are less dense.
Matte Black is least dense.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling
I was only referring to the standard conversion and not linking to the ink.
When I weight my PG-9 cartridges it was obvious to me back then that all of the inks were of different density and viscosity.
I have to agree it is only a rough conversion but its still a good one.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mikling said:
The Hat said:
stratman
One gm. = One ml.:thumbsup
That's only on a rough basis.

It actually varies by color.
Yellow dye ink is densest.
Pigment inks are less dense.
Matte Black is least dense.
In the immortal words of Olivia Neutron Bomb: Let's get specifical, specifical. I wanna get specifical. Let your scale do the work.

What are the weights of these various density inks per ml for a specific ink set (cli-8, 221, 226, etc)?