Refilling HP Officejet 7000 cartridges - ISSUES

NewbVT

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am attempting to refill the hp920 cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridges with ink purchased online. My printer is an HP Officejet 7000 E809a

When my new, genuine HP cartridges ran out of ink, I refilled them with the ink I purchased online exactly as the instructions indicated. At first, it seemed successful; although the colors were slightly different, I was happy with the results and feeling very excited about all the money I was going to save. The ink level indicator lights on the printer continued to show low ink levels (not a big deal to me as long as it's working), but the new ink seemed to be working perfectly....for a while. As soon as I try to refill the cartridges a second time, the printer doesn't seem to want to use them anymore. Results are inconsistent--I have a test page that prints blocks of pure cyan, yellow, and magenta--the cyan and yellow are giving me the most issues. On the test page, sometimes the colors are streaked, sometimes the blocks are about 10% printed and then abruptly stopped, sometimes they don't print AT ALL--almost as if the printer thinks they are out of ink and refuses to use them. Through my research on the web, most people say that I ought to be able to print just fine as long as I ignore any errors. I do not get errors on my computer, other than the ink level indicator showing that the cartridges are low or out. I have tried consecutively installing four different sets of cartridges before installing the refilled ones without successful results. I have also tried disabling two way communication with the printer without success. Strangely enough, even when the two way communication was disabled, the ink level indicator program still seemed to function as intended.

Exasperated, I bought a few sets of new, genuine hp cartridges with the same results--- the new genuine hp works perfectly and immediately (after getting the bad results with the refilled carts), and I seem to be able to refill them once, but as soon as that first refill is out, I'm out of luck. Does anyone know what the problem/solution might be??

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

isaac Munyendo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp officejet 700
I also have the same problem with my hp 7000. I just needed an advice on how to make it sense ink levels correctly

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You don't say how you refilled them or what kind of ink and refill kit you used, but there is quite an art to it. It's possible that you didn't refill them well.

When you refill, either use a different cartridge or do a cleaning cycle before you print. If you change cartridges, the printer will do a cleaning cycle automatically. I don't know whether you have already done this.

I also suggest that you read and understand Mikling's posts here, and view the videos: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/flushing-why.9217/ . Mikling discusses some of the reasons why refilling goes badly. Mikling demonstrates with Canon cartridges, but they are similar to the HP cartridges that you have.

But note that that discussion is for discussing how the cartridges work. Please do not post your problem in there. Thanks.

HP printers do not display the print levels after you have refilled. Some of the older printers can be tricked into displaying the level, but as far as I know, yours is not one of them. There are two ways to determine the level. You can estimate it by keeping track of the page count, or you can periodically remove a cartridge and weigh it.

You should keep a record of the weights anyway. There are many excellent inexpensive (less than $20) scales that you can buy that weigh to 0.01 gram. I recommend 100 g capacity, or maybe 200 g.

isaac Munyendo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp officejet 700
Hi. Thanks for your reply Thrilla. If there is no way I can see ink level then i will have to try weighing option, though i would have preferred the level being shown by printer.

I refilled using the small hole in to of the cartridge and a small needle. I did not insert the needle too much inside to avoid causing any damage of inner components. The ink was Silk Ink for HP.

Hope to get a solution

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Canon printers have the same problem with not showing the level, but for many models you can buy a device that resets the chip on the cartridge, and takes care of the problem. HP users have no such luck, as far as I know.

There are two widely used methods: the German or "durchstich" method, and top filling. Both are described pretty well on this forum (you'll have to search). I would also check Mikling's Web site (Precision Colors) -- also others. I'm sure he has a good description of top filling, but maybe not the German method. Just inserting the needle a short distance, into the sponge is not a widely used method, and it is will not allow you to fill the cartridge very full.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The HP920 cartridges look similar to the HP564 (US) / HP364 (EU) cartridges. The HP364/564 cartridges come in two varieties standard and XL. The XL cartridges are similar in design to Canon single ink cartridges with a sponge chamber and an ink reservoir. The standard cartridges have the ink reservoir sealed off, reducing the capacity of the cartridge this way.

The standard cartridges can be refilled by dripping ink into the ink outlet or by inserting a needle a short distance into the sponge. The XL cartridges can be refilled in the same way as the Canon cartridges. As the HP cartridges are totally opaque the elegance of the "German" or "Durchstich" method is lost. This leaves topfilling as the method to be used with these cartridges IMO.

The HP XL cartridges are sealed with a plastic ball that can be removed and replaced by a suitable silicone plug. The plugs that fit Canon cartridges also fit the HP cartridges.

Here is a thread about top filling Canon cartridges. Note in posts #4 and #9 that the top filling can be done in two different ways, with and without sealing the vent. For the totally opaque HP cartridges I recommend the method with sealing the vent with the added step of using a wooden cocktail stick as a dipstick to determine when the vent should be sealed. This method works well for my refilling the HP364 XL cartridges.

The tape covering the vent/air maze does not always stick well to the cartridge, causing problems sealing the vent during refill, so I suggest to remove it and seal the vent hole using Blu-Tac or similar, click to enlarge:

HP364-1.jpg

The ink outlet must be sealed during the refill, else ink will leak. After the refill insert the silicone plug. remove the Blu-Tac and cover the vent maze to minimize evaporation from the cartridge. Note that air must be able to enter the maze. Click to enlarge:

HP364-2.jpg

As the HP920 look very similar to the HP364 cartridges, I think this method will also work well with the HP920 XL cartridges.

Last edited:

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
PeterBJ's answer is a very good one. Sorry, I forgot to mention the difference between XL and non-XL cartridges. The non-XL cartridges hold a little ink in a sponge, but there is a large chamber that is simply empty. The XL cartridges hold a lot more ink, and that's what most people use. And yes, HP makes you buy them.

isaac Munyendo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp officejet 700
Thanks PeterBJ. I like your explanation. I use the XL cartridges. Imagine I used the air vent for refilling and so i suppose very little ink if not none entered the reservoir. I will try PeterBJ's method and give a feedback if it works with the cartridges.

Another concern; after refilling the correct way, does the printer read the ink level?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks PeterBJ. I like your explanation. I use the XL cartridges. Imagine I used the air vent for refilling and so i suppose very little ink if not none entered the reservoir....

Exactly. This refill method is suitable for the standard cartridges, but not for the XL cartridges as it will not refill the reservoir.
Another concern; after refilling the correct way, does the printer read the ink level?

Sadly no. You will get warnings on the printers LCD display if a such is present and/or on the computer monitor, that you are using refilled or counterfeit cartridges, which is very bad. Just click OK to close the warnings. You might have to navigate several "nag screens" before you are allowed to print.

The idea of weighing the cartridges as suggested by ThrillaMozilla is a good one. If you weigh the empty cartridge before refill, you will know when it should be refilled again.

Else I would suggest that you monitor the print quality closely, and stop and refill at the first signs of ink running low.

Good luck with the refilling.

isaac Munyendo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp officejet 700
Exactly.

Sadly no. You will get warnings on the printers LCD display if a such is present and/or on the computer monitor, that you are using refilled or counterfeit cartridges, which is very bad. Just click OK to close the warnings. You might have to navigate several "nag screens" before you are allowed to print.

The idea of weighing the cartridges as suggested by ThrillaMozilla is a good one. If you weigh the empty cartridge before refill, you will know when it should be refilled again.

Else I would suggest that you monitor the print quality closely, and stop and refill at the first signs of ink running low.

Good luck with the refilling.

Thanks alot Bro

Now I wont be worried about the warning screens as long as am able to print well.

I will also effect ThrillerMozilla's weighing suggestion, to know when to refill.

Latest posts