Refilling CL-40, 41 alternate method

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I refilled my CL40 and 41 this way, anyone get any opinion on this method?
1. Open up the top cover using an utility knife, reveal the white sponge.
2. Lift out the sponge from its well with a pair of sharp priers. I can now see the screen above the print head.
3. I then use a sringe and put in 15mils of black ink which filled about 2/3 of the cartridge.
4. Gently press the cartridge on a paper towel a few times until you see a good black stamp ink mark on the paper
towel.
5. Gently push the sponge back, you can see the top of the sponge is still white and dry.
6. Glue or tape back the top cover and replace the cartridge into the printer, off you print.

I do the same for the color CL41 except I only put 5 mils of ink into each color well. If ink does not come out after you put in the ink, wait a minute or two for the ink to reach the print head. If still no ink then you may take out the sponge which is now soaked with ink and try to clean the screen using running tap water or try the force air method.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Itsang,

There are special refill adapters available to remove the air in the cartridge. Canon's combined carts/printheads are similar to HP 21/21/56/57/58 cartridges (for which there are refill adapters too). Air is the greates problem when refilling those cartridges. By removing about 1 ml ink from the refilled cartridge through the printhead, air is removed from cartridge which might cause serious banding in your prints. Those adapters cost only a few bucks.

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks pharmacist,
I agree with the air bubble problem in refilling.
By pouring ink over the ink well instead of injecting ink through the sponge , then let the ink seep through the metal screen eliminates any air that will block the ink line. I have the prime tool for the HP 56s but haven't get one for the Canon yet. I just wonder how is this method compared with a straight refill through the sponge method.
Another point I try to ask members here is :
If I remove the sponge and pour windex or other cleaning agent into the cartridge and let the fluid run out through the print head, will this clear up the clogged nozzles?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ltsang said:
6. Glue or tape back the top cover and replace the cartridge into the printer, off you print.
In other posts above there appears to be a suggestion that an airtight seal is required/advisable. In my experience it does not appear to be necessary, I do something similar to No 6.........I use an elastic band to retain the top to the cart body.

After refilling I have never seen a CL 40.41 cart "drip", using this method..... or perhaps I have been lucky?

I agree with Itsang`s method as described if you wish to maintain a sensible level of ink in the cart.