Refilling Canon Pixma ip4700 ?

Two_Metre_Man

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
Did a little look back and here's a quick rundown on what changed.

BCI6/3eBK -> CLI-8/PGI-5 Changes:
- Photo Black
- Magenta

CLI-8/PGI-5 -> CLI-521/PGI-520 (same as 221/220) Changes:
- Pigment Black
- Cyan

So between the two you've got four inks out of five (the yellow being the only exception) that have changed.

As much as anything else you might want to take heart from the fact that ink does age and eventually develops algae, promoting clogging, etc... so fresh ink is probably a good idea anyway.

But there you go in terms of the changes...

As always, hope it helps
:)
Martin
Ayup there, Martin!!!! (from an ex-Derbyshire lad, now living in the USA!!) ;)

Many thanks for that!! I just bought the latest Hobbicolours (sp!!) ink set, plus a chip resetter, and I'll have a go with the old stuff and this new and see what comes out best.

Thanks for looking back and checking on the changes! Much Appreciated!!

Cheers!!

George

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
No trouble at all... and even though I'm actually born a Kentish Man I do love Yorkshire more... met my wife here for starters.

Anyhoo... glad to help... I've been dealing with all the complexities of compatibility between versions so much my wife gets me to repeat the information when she can't sleep... :p .. Nice to actually share with someone who will hear the information past the first 5 seconds... :D

Two_Metre_Man

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
No trouble at all... and even though I'm actually born a Kentish Man I do love Yorkshire more... met my wife here for starters.

Anyhoo... glad to help... I've been dealing with all the complexities of compatibility between versions so much my wife gets me to repeat the information when she can't sleep... :p .. Nice to actually share with someone who will hear the information past the first 5 seconds... :D
:lol: Nice!!!

I have happy memories of the pubs near The Isle Of Grain from w-a-y back when I was a young 'un at sea!! OMG - memories!!! Mind you, I have happy memories of pubs from all over the UK!!! HIC!!!! :p

Happy Days, Martin!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Two_Metre_Man said:
I have happy memories of the pubs near The Isle Of Grain from w-a-y back when I was a young 'un at sea!! OMG - memories!!! Mind you, I have happy memories of pubs from all over the UK!!! HIC!!!! :p

Happy Days, Martin!!
Memories? Ah that's where it all goes a bit wrong... ;) Happy days indeed...

deewun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon iP4700 which showed that the cyan cartridge was running low. In anticipation of having to spend considerable money on Canon products, I had purchased a set of refilled cartridges from CISinks, together with bottles of the refill ink. I followed the instructions meticulously, replacing all five of the cartridges. When restarting the machine, I get the message,
"a print head is not installed or the installed print head is not compatible with this printer. Install an appropriate print head and close the cover of the printer."
The cartridges removed from the have been preserved with a seal on the ink outlet holes and I am thinking of doing the following:
Replace the original cartridges and purchase a new cyan cartridge, in order to get things back on track. That will give me a spare cartridge on which I can practice a refill procedure.
I would like input on the pros and cons of the "German" system as opposed to drilling a hole and refilling from the top.
Should I go with refilling the OEM cartridges, would I need a chip resetter? If so, any recommendations would appreciated. :(
Input would be appreciated.

deewun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Further to my previous post:
I purchased an OEM cyan cartridge
I reinstalled the four original cartridges and the new cartridge. The printer works fine.
Now I am left with the possibility that it is the chips in the third party cartridges that are at fault.
My plan now is to refill the Canon cartridges as they empty and as I have a spare cartridge ( the cyan that was empty) I propose to try refilling it from the top to see how it goes.
Examining the cartridge, I have looked at a prospective site to drill a hole. Image attached.http://www.pbase.com/deewun/image/129501991
Could some one please tell me if that is a good spot and will I need a chip resetter.
Many thanks

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Deewun,

I just recently bought a MP640 which uses the same carts as the ip4700. I've had several Canon printers in the past and refilled using the top fill method
but am using the German method with this new priinter and much prefer it over the top fill method. I'm using Precision Colors Ink and find that it matches
Canon ink perfectly. I bought my chip resetter off of the Bay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/MP980-CLI-221-R...671?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item4aa47ea34f#shId and got some blunt needles from:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/20g-Blunt-Needle.html What ever you do make sure
that the needles you get are at least 2 inches long. The needle must reach all the way into the ink chamber to fill properly.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
deewun
Looking at the picture you posted made me laugh (ops sorry), the Canon refill hole is clearly the place to refill from, just remove the bung and you have a readymade hole.
The safest and the smartest way to go is to get yourself a chip resetter and then the OEM cartridges will work fine.
The CISinks ink you bought dont seem to have any pigment black; you should check that out as well.. :)

deewun

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm glad I made you laugh, these days a giggle is hard to come by. Another stupid question to someone who seems to be a bit of a guru on this topic, how do I get the #$@^&* bung out. Sorry to be so obtuse, but I'm a Welshman, so I come by it honestly. However, the saving grace is that I am married to an Irish colleen;) Thanks for your help.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Take a pushpin and make a small hole in the ball and then use a small (very small) eyebolt screw and insert into the ball and
screw in and then pull it out. The German method is much much easier and you don't have to worry about sealing the hole once
you're done. Just use a pushpin or a 1/16th in drill bit to make a hole at the base at the rear of the cart. When you're done
refilling there's no need to seal the hole as it will not leak ink.