Refilling Canon Pixma ip4700 ?

wixwix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

When i bought my moderately new ip4700 I grabbed some cheap inks from ebay to go with it, oblivious to the whole chip/no-chip dilemma of replacing inks in "modern" printers

Time has come to replace my first cartridge which ran out. So I shifted the chip from the OEM cartridge to the 3rd party one I bought and slotted it back into the printer.

The error im running into is that the light on the cartridge wont show inside my printer for the Cyan which i replaced and Instead of the windows error messages that guides like these get:
http://freedomtoprint.com/2009/04/02/how-to-turn-off-the-canon-print-ink-monitor/
http://www.fourpoundbrain.com/how-to-reset-canon-cli-chips/

I get this:

How do I go about solving this? Is it true that I need one of these 3rd party external chip reseters too in order to complete this , or is it possible to do it manually in anyway ?#

Heres some more images to show whats going on here:

And this is a test sheet I managed to get it to print when I replaced the ink without lifting the bar and got the light to turn on on the cyan cartiridge but it wouldnt draw any ink from it.

I did as a best a search of the web as i could but because this is all 3rd party stuff it was hard to find stuff for specifically the ip4700 and not just the CLI chips.

Also am using windows7 if that makes a difference

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What you get on the screen says the cartridge (Cyan) is not recognized. Your OEM chip that you transplanted to the compatible cartridge is damaged. It probably gave a parity error when the printer reads the chip. You should not have grabbed those cheap compatible cartridges and transferred the chips from your OEM cartridges over to the compatibles.

It's a huge mistake. Why? Because you are replacing the high quality OEM cartridges with low quality compatibles. If the same chips are used you essentially have swapped out good cartridges with poor ones. Besides, had the chip not given you the error you probably would have used the low quality compatible cartridges and sooner or later they would shot your print head. Before it is too late you should move the chips back to your OEM cartridges and refill them with quality inks. If the Cyan cartridge is still not recognized you should replace it with a new one.

There are many sellers on the flea bay selling very cheap compatible ink cartridges and cheap compatible inks. If the price is too cheap it is probably too good to be true. Steer clear of those. Your printer will live happily.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've gotten that error before too. Try pressing firmly on the chip to make sure it is seated properly because it doesn't look quite alighned and also clean the contacts with an eraser, if the light can't penetrate the cartridge properly you get that error and then make sure to close the lid, before I got those errors because I stuck a pen in the cover switch to check that the carriage was moving properly and that error popped up too turns out the ambient light was messing with the sensor.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
wixwix..
I have had problems with my ip4700 to, and most of them were related to the lid not being fully down. It tended to throw up all sorts of errors, so I put a little weight on the side with the sensor and that got rid of all the messages..

wixwix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
wixwix..
I have had problems with my ip4700 to, and most of them were related to the lid not being fully down. It tended to throw up all sorts of errors, so I put a little weight on the side with the sensor and that got rid of all the messages..
It's a pretty new and unscathed printer. hence this being the first time i've changed the inks, so its unscathed enough that theres no light getting into the print area at all, lid is firmly down. The led on the print cartridge itself isnt comming up with this 3rd party one.

qwertydude said:
I've gotten that error before too. Try pressing firmly on the chip to make sure it is seated properly because it doesn't look quite alighned and also clean the contacts with an eraser, if the light can't penetrate the cartridge properly you get that error and then make sure to close the lid, before I got those errors because I stuck a pen in the cover switch to check that the carriage was moving properly and that error popped up too turns out the ambient light was messing with the sensor.
I did check the chip again now against one of the other cartridges and it is exactly alligned with the seating of the chip in the oem cartridge so the sensors not picking up the chip is not the issue as far as i can tell. It defenitely knows theres a chip/cartridge there but it refuses to acknowledge it despite it being the same chip from the OEM cartridge.

leo8088 said:
What you get on the screen says the cartridge (Cyan) is not recognized. Your OEM chip that you transplanted to the compatible cartridge is damaged. It probably gave a parity error when the printer reads the chip. You should not have grabbed those cheap compatible cartridges and transferred the chips from your OEM cartridges over to the compatibles.

It's a huge mistake. Why? Because you are replacing the high quality OEM cartridges with low quality compatibles. If the same chips are used you essentially have swapped out good cartridges with poor ones. Besides, had the chip not given you the error you probably would have used the low quality compatible cartridges and sooner or later they would shot your print head. Before it is too late you should move the chips back to your OEM cartridges and refill them with quality inks. If the Cyan cartridge is still not recognized you should replace it with a new one.

There are many sellers on the flea bay selling very cheap compatible ink cartridges and cheap compatible inks. If the price is too cheap it is probably too good to be true. Steer clear of those. Your printer will live happily.
I dont really get how the print head can get shot from a porous surface transfer of the ink unless the ink is significantly different consistencies, but not much I know about. Ofcourse I acknowledge I went for the stupid "cheapest" option which just grabbing the first inks that came to hand that were cheap as could get.

Is it better to just refill the existing OEM cartridges with ink from wherever or to buy repalcement cartridges that come pre-chipped ? If we are talking about avoiding the extortianote OEM cartridge packs they sell on the Canon site and similar places when theres plenty of chipped other options for more decent prices (not ultra cheap but moderate).

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
wixwix said:
I dont really get how the print head can get shot from a porous surface transfer of the ink unless the ink is significantly different consistencies, but not much I know about. Ofcourse I acknowledge I went for the stupid "cheapest" option which just grabbing the first inks that came to hand that were cheap as could get.
The problem is in the quality of the compatible ink cartridges, but not in transferring the chips from OEM carts to the compatibles. Compatible cartridges do not have the quality built-in in the OEM carts. If you take a look at the sponge of an OEM cart you will see that there are two layers of sponge. That particular design is for the purpose of regulating the ink flow. Compatible ink cartridges do not use such configuration in the sponge because Canon holds a patent on it. By using compatible carts that do not supply correct ink flows to the print head you will have a lot of problems sooner or later. Print head clogging is very likely awaiting to happen.

You have stumbled on a chip transferring problem so you have not gone too far to cause damage to your print head yet. Chip transfer may look easy but if accuracy of the chip orientation after transferring to the compatible cart there may be a contact issue. And if data is written to the chip with bad contact of the chip there will be CRC or parity error when the chip is read back. That's when the printer will say cartridge unrecognized. That's what you are seeing now.

wixwix said:
Is it better to just refill the existing OEM cartridges with ink from wherever or to buy repalcement cartridges that come pre-chipped ? If we are talking about avoiding the extortianote OEM cartridge packs they sell on the Canon site and similar places when theres plenty of chipped other options for more decent prices (not ultra cheap but moderate).
OEM carts are definitely the best and only option for the game. Several known good quality inks are recommended all the time on this forum by people who have had successful stories about them. Refill your OEM carts with one of these recommended inks you will hit a home run.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
+1 for refilling OEM carts.

I'm still using the original carts my iP4500 came with.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
wixwix..
I use a number of canon printers and can say without a dough the 4700 is the most fussy of the lot. If everything is not perfect it throws up an error. I will also agree with msmart and leo8088 go for the oem cartridges and fill, you will be much happier.. ;)

wixwix

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Are you suggesting to here to literally refill the existing cartridges with ink from bottles or to replace the plastic cartiridge with a new plastic cartridge that has ink inside?

Could you link me to threads where the recommendations are discussed etc. , or give me the low down here ? thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
wixwix..

The answer is yes, fill the canon cartridges with ink from bottles and get a second set as spare.
You will find all the questions on filling cartridges and where to buy the necessary ink right here on this forum..

Try:- under Refilling InkJets topic.

German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

You can get what you need on octoinkjet .co.uk by websnail

Or from:- ... Hobbicolors Rihac.com.au www.inksupply.com

http://www.precisioncolors.com

If I have left anything out I am sure one of the guys on here will fill the gap for you..
:p