Refilling a CISS or buy a new one?

john411

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a CISS for epson rx595. Can I just pour the new ink in there and mix the new with the bit that is left from the old one?

Also there seems to be moisture in the CISS bottles. Will that evaporation be a problem if it mixes with the ink?

Also why do the ink lines get full of air if I don't print anything for a few days? Is there a way to avoid this and get all the air out when this happens?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
john411..

I wouldnt recommend mixing two different inks in your CISS it may cause problems sooner rather than later i.e. Knackered print head. Not all inks are compatible, so make sure you know what youre doing.. :(

jessarooy2k

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi! Before I go buying a CIS for my new HP 309g, can anyone tell me where the best place online is to purchase? Also, of the success or failures to date? Obviously, I would like to avoid ruining a $100 unit. The best paper purchase I have found so far was at Sam's Club of "HP Premium Photo Paper". 150 sheets of 8.5"X11" Glossy 64lb under $38. That's around 25 cents a sheet. Also found a similar deal at wally world for HP 4"X6" Advanced Photo Paper at two for the price of one, or 200 precuts for under $15. The prints I get from Mfr carts are excellent; and compared to a Canon 250 PIXMA (WITH THEIR MFR STUFF), THERE IS NO COMPARISON. HP blows it away on standard settings every time. I am currently looking at a CIS from "inkproducts.com" for $80. Sounds like a good deal, but again I'd love to hear if I am actually getting a good deal or stepping off into "Pain & Woe Itisville"? Any help out there?

Thanks,

Jesse G.

john411

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

What do most people with CISS do? Do they buy compatible ink and pour more ink every time it starts to get low?

Is it possible to empty all the ink left so that I can pour the new one.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
john411..

First of all when you got your CISS did it come with ink. Yes Then keep on using the same ink from that supplier. You can add more of the same ink without emptying out whats left in the bottles. I hope this answers some of your questions and it helps you get better prints..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jessarooy2k..

You seem to be on the right track yourself with what you use and what you want. As far as I know (and thats not much) inkproducts.com seems not such a bad place to get your CISS from, but I am sure some of guys on here will approve or disapprove so wait and see what response you get. I bet you will get a load of new suggestions..

;)

john411

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok I got the new CISS in the mail. Same as the old one but now this one is giving me problems.

For some reason is looks like the black ink is streaking at the edges of the paper for some strange reason.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? It's almost as if it's letting out too much black ink when it shouldn't but I don't know why it's only at the edges of the paper.

OK I want to add something else. The back of the paper seems to have smears of ink on it, like a trail. There is a huge smudge of black ink on it too.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
john411..

It sounds like your system is leaking badly. Take out your cartridges and try refitting them again, you have a bad seal on the cartridge. Make sure that your ink supply bottles are level with the bottom of your printer. Did your CISS come with any silicone seals?. After youve cured the leak you can clean up the mess by pulling out the power cord when the lid is raised...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
Did your CISS come with any silicone seals?
That's for Canon CISs's only :) This is for an Epson printer and the design of the cartridges should make any additional thin grommets redundant. That said check for any degraded cartridge outlets and/or obvious signs of leakage.

Beyond that it's possible that the pressure on the black ink is overly positive, either due to the reservoir being poorly primed or the reservoir is too high.

Finally it's possible that the ink has seeped out into the parking pad where it's built up and soiled the base of the printhead causing smears and clogging issues too...

Should give you some indications of what to look for...

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
john411 said:
Thanks for the reply.

What do most people with CISS do? Do they buy compatible ink and pour more ink every time it starts to get low?

Is it possible to empty all the ink left so that I can pour the new one.
I installed a couple dozen Epson CIS now and only buy new CIS because it only costs a couple bucks more than the ink itself. I just swap tubes at the tanks and don't remove the carts which is good because removing carts is what causes trouble for me.

Getting quite a stock of extra carts/chips which may come in handy later.