Refilling a CISS or buy a new one?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
d1hamby..

I still wouldnt mix ink in a CISS system; even canon ink can react with some generic inks. websnail thanks for picking me up on the seals, be working to long on those pesky canons I reckon.. :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'm with "The Hat" on that one...

I still wouldn't mix any inks... That "made to be compatible with other inks" is almost as bad as the "Universal" ink tag line... Inks are chemicals, period... mixing chemicals is something my parents (and chemistry teacher) was dead set against.. mainly because of the various redecorating efforts required afterwards...

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
I wouldnt recommend mixing two different inks in your CISS it may cause problems sooner rather than later i.e. Knackered print head. Not all inks are compatible, so make sure you know what youre doing.. :(
A newbie question ... would this be even more the case with pigmented ink for Epsons?

And it makes me wonder about a related question: should I have done something like purging an empty OEM Canon cartridge when I started using non-OEM ink (OCP). My less than fully informed opinion is that there is still some Canon ink in the cartridge sponge area when my Pro-9000-2 reports it is empty.

Is that what "purging" a cartridge is doing .... soaking and draining the cartridge once or more times to get out essentially all the OEM ink? Is this advised?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
l_d_allan And it makes me wonder about a related question: should I have done something like purging an empty OEM Canon cartridge when I started using non-OEM ink (OCP). My less than fully informed opinion is that there is still some Canon ink in the cartridge sponge area when my Pro-9000-2 reports it is empty.

Is that what "purging" a cartridge is doing .... soaking and draining the cartridge once or more times to get out essentially all the OEM ink? Is this advised?
The word (to purge) used on this forum generally mean to: - clean out, wash out the ink in a cartridge.
There would be no need to purge your cartridge of ink to accommodate the new OCP ink, that ink will happily mix
with the Canon ink safely but you might get a small colour shift till all the old ink is used up inside the cartridge.. :)

cityinkexpress

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Mixing of inks is not advised at all - you can get away with some colours mixing - but if there will be a colour shift guaranteed it will be when the magenta is added - and then all the ink in the maganta channel will be ruined - over the years i have had many people come back whi have bought cheaper ink and filled their ciss - mixed the inks and the colours are really bad

Customers are already saving a small fortune with a ciss stick with the supplier of the ciss inks

shane