Recommendation for the best 3rd party ink for 9500

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you The Hat!
I was looking for info here but have only seen the recent thread about Freedom Method for these carts. Is that the thread you reference when you mention "instructions with pictures here on this forum but nowhere else"? Are there others?

Can some resetters work on all 10 carts?

Thanks

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman Are there others?
Can some resetters work on all 10 carts?
I have only posted the refiller on this forum so except for the other method of dripping ink into the outlet
(that takes forever) there is nowhere else.

The resetter to get for these cartridges is the YXD-R58e, it also works on CLI-8s as well,
it however only works on eight cartridges so youll have to disable ink monitoring for the other two cartridges
(which invalidates your warrantee) or use ARC chips for twelve months..;)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Inkjetcarts has one time only chips for the PK and GY carts
$2.95 each. So add about a dollar for in they come out to $3.95 for each refill. Using these chips and you do not have to disable the ink monitor. They are not advertised on the site for some reason but Ross emailed me the info.

They are also advocating drilling a hole somewhere on the underside of the cart and then sealing the hole with hot glue after refilling.
I have to think that the method you are using would be much better overall.
I would think having two sets of OEM carts would be ideal in a refilling situation for this printer.
My printer is due to arrive on the 1st of Sep. I'll have to buy a second set of OEM carts.

Is there a reason why 3rd party carts for this printer ( EBAY ) are so un-reccomended? Do they tend to starve the head?

Thanks

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman They are also advocating drilling a hole somewhere on the underside of the cart and then sealing the hole with hot glue after refilling.
I have to think that the method you are using would be much better overall.
I would think having two sets of OEM carts would be ideal in a refilling situation for this printer.
My printer is due to arrive on the 1st of Sep. I'll have to buy a second set of OEM carts
Is there a reason why 3rd party carts for this printer ( EBAY ) are so un-reccomended? Do they tend to starve the head?.
Originally I started that idea of drilling the hole in the bottom which works extremely well
and I used that method till I made the new refiller this month.

It was a bit fiddly to start with but it was the only easy and quick way to refill these cartridges at that time.
It would be wiser to have a complete spare set of cartridges for your printer (expensive but necessary)
as compatibles are not to be relied upon for high quality work.

I have used two different design types of compatibles both worked but not all of the time
as they could be troublesome and are not a patch on the OEMs .

Good luck with your new printer and I hope you enjoy using it as much as I do with mine
its probably the best Canon printer yet..:)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you HAT!
I will experiment and work on your system as I have a pretty complete home machine shop at my disposal so I can probably frabricate just about any type of rig. I just need to be shown what to build.
I had seen the PRO9500 MKII being offered for bid and for instant buy on EBAY but most were for almost retail so I held on. Then I saw a new in the box Pro 9500 MKII for $300 and free shipping. Very likely one of those that were recently purchased with a huge rebate Well guess what happened LOL!!!

I look forward to this new printer as well. I'm sure I'll be back often to ask many questions. After being in the photographic field for nearly 50 years, I am enjoying the hell out of the fact that finally we can print what in many cases surpases what used to be achieved after many hours in the darkroom with an inkjet. It will only get better!!!!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Hello THE HAT!
Question for you concerning ARC for the PRO 9500 MKII
Do these reset only after they read "Empty" so the cart has to be removed and put back into the printer after refilling of course. Or do they auto reset by themselves say, when they reach 90%. Or when one turns off the printer. Must they reach an empty state to reset, regartdless of method. So in other words do they actually monitor the ink levels because I just want to make sure they are not the tipe that display full 100%, increasing the chances of running one or several carts dry and thus frying the print head.

Thank you!

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman Question for you concerning ARC for the PRO 9500 MKII
Do these reset only after they read "Empty"
These ARC chips are the same type that are used in all of the Canon printers
They monitor the ink levels reasonably accurate and will reset to full again
once the cartridge is removed from the printer regardless of how much ink is left in it.

In other words they show ink levels as OEM chips do till the power supply is removed from the chip
(i.e. cartridge removal) or the printer is turned off and on again.

On start up I usually stick the MBK and grey cartridges on a scales before commencing any printing
and if the cartridge weight is below 25 gm. I replace it.. :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks. That's great!
So these ARCs still do not work for the MBK and grey carts? The reason you have to keep track of ink levels by weighing them? If that is the case I guess I can live with that.
Today I officially begin my retirement and my retirement gift to myself, The Pro 9500 MKII also arrives this PM.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman ARCs still do not work for the MBK and grey carts?
I think were getting off on the wrong foot here.
The ARCs work perfectly fine showing normal ink levels when printing.

When you turn back on your printer the next day or the following week (whenever)
thats causes these ARC chips on the MBK and grey to reset to show that the cartridges are full of ink when in fact there not.

Now you know why it's advisable to check the cartridges yourself by weight or replacement.
It's like having belt and braces, it give you peace of mind..:)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I think you missunderstood me. I asked because I wanted to make sure the the ARCs work for all 10 colors. I can keep track of ink status all right. It just arrived.