Recommendation for the best 3rd party ink for 9500

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is the reason why I am not hot on ARCs.

Now if we look at the Epson R1900 and 1800, we see that the Cyan always seems to run out at twice the rate of any other color.

That being the case, if we topped up ALL the cartridges on the 1900 whenever, the Cyan is refilled, we can just about always be sure that the other colors are never empty. We can focus on the Cyan and ignore the rest.

Using this same thought process on the 9500 and not using ARCs on the 8 colors but the OEM chips, can we find a general correlattion between the non resettable chips and the other colors that will hold? That way, we can use that correlation and get an idea of how much is left in the 2 colors. That way, even when the other two colors are disabled, the level on one of the 8 colors will give a strong clue on the level of the remaining two.

For those who want to extend the longevity of the waste ink pads, ARCs might not help because the printer will keep thinking it has new cartridges each time it is reset and this will consume the waste ink pad quicker. Of course some will want to keep the printer on all the time. With the energy situation these days, it doesn't feel right anymore... and then if as I have been having this year, power outages during thunderstorms. This would cause the ARC chips to reset after each power outage.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman I think you missunderstood me. I asked because I wanted to make sure the the ARCs work for all 10 colors.
Your/re dead right I did misunderstand you I couldnt imagine using ARCs on all ten.
Keeping track of two cartridges is relatively easy but ten no way, that would drive me to stop drinking altogether.:plbb
mikling This is the reason why I am not hot on ARCs.
For those who want to extend the longevity of the waste ink pads, ARCs might not help because the printer will keep thinking it has new cartridges each time it is reset and this will consume the waste ink pad quicker.
By changing the cartridges each time you turn on the printer each chip has little or no chance to show low ink warning
so cleaning and purging are keep to a minimum, well thats what I do anyway.

I dont like using ARC chips and have discontinued using them on all my printers except the 9500
but I find them necessary in some cases, far from forgetting about ink levels they do in fact help you
to remember because you can see a visible ink level all the time.
If an OEM chip fails for whatever reason then they are very handy to substitute till you can get another cartridge..:)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I will be interested in how you find the print outs of the 9500 in comparison with the 9000.
Enjoy your retirement mate:)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you for the good wishes Rodham!
I received the printed today very early but had to go in to work to do my final out processing from the company.
I hope to make some time this weekend to fully play with it.
From what I have heard, from other users, this machine tends not to be as "Punchy" as a similar dye printer. However the color output has been described as "Photographic" and "Pictorial" in nature. Skin colors rendition is supposed to be superb.

I think what I will do is buy a second set of carts from Amazon for $117 to always have a full set ready to go at any time.
Haven't chosen a refill method yet or whether I will disable the two non resettable carts.

I agree with mikling on his view on minimizing the ink charging cycles after each reset.

Thanks to all for all the info and great advice!

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This weekend I might begin profiling the 9500 with the IS aftermarket inks. These would include Red River Papers and the obligatory Kirkland and Staples Matte some Inkpress and Premier Imaging Luster papers and whatever I have at hand.

alvy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i was just wondering, can i pop the chip off say a yellow pgi-9 cart and attach it to one of the 2 non resettable pgi carts? will the printer recognise it as the correct cart because it is in the correct slot or will it reject with an error because it is detected as a yellow cart? reason why im asking is because we can use generic arc or one time reset chips, so does it mean that the printer does not care about the cart id but only the ink level.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
alvy said:
i was just wondering, can i pop the chip off say a yellow pgi-9 cart and attach it to one of the 2 non resettable pgi carts? will the printer recognise it as the correct cart because it is in the correct slot or will it reject with an error because it is detected as a yellow cart? reason why im asking is because we can use generic arc or one time reset chips, so does it mean that the printer does not care about the cart id but only the ink level.
Sorry alvy but that wont work for you because the yellow chip will only work in the fourth position which is reserved for it.
All the Canon chips are specific to their own colour and printer and cannot be put in the wrong location..;)

alvy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
so what you r saying is that even those arc or one time resettables are also unqiue to their respective color carts? thnx