R3000 print speed Super Slow

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There has to be something wrong on the wireless side
I agree, sounds very much so the WiFi is fubared. However, I was answering the specific question about the printer's wired connection data throughput, albeit generally speaking since Lord knows how Epson and a specific user's hardware and software setups will play together.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maxing out at 80 is realistic as there is overhead in the physical and networking protocols.
Also known as "Angels' Share" when adult beverages lose small amounts in the cask during maturation due to evaporation. Then again, maybe it was Uncle Ernie tapping the cask for a snootful and this was his alibi.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Also known as "Angels' Share" when adult beverages lose small amounts in the cask during maturation due to evaporation. Then again, maybe it was Uncle Ernie tapping the cask for a snootful and this was his alibi.
Obviously you didn't ask uncle to give you on the job training on judging fermentation maturation ;)

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
On the mention of it being ok with text. I never really thought about that but it is, when I print labels its pretty fast.

As for the ethernet cable. Do I just connect that to the router? Then how do I connect it to the laptop? I tried today and failed. Couldnt really find much info online unfortunately.. maybe I was looking in the wrong places. :/

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Yes, ethernet cable directly from printer to router or printer to ethernet switch and ethernet switch to router. No brainer. Except for walls or other physical obstructions, never use WiFi ;-))

You can keep your notebook on WiFi, your router should perfectly connect between ethernet connected and WiFi connected devices. But when the WiFi connection between notebook and router is bad then that will also impact printing speed. But the risk for that happening should be lower than for the printer being on wifi because the WiFi support in routers and notebooks is better than on random embedded equipment like printers.

Ideally one has a printer server on the wired network that buffers whole print jobs from wireless notebook to printer so that you never run into the problem of the printer job cancelling because the wireless connection to the notebook gets interrupted by the microwave. Alas, these days the setup of such a print server that fully guarantees you this is not necessarily that easy.And only few routers have this.

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various

Nerdy Nitpicking:

I visited Jim Beans distillery and tasted the products: The quality very nicely correlates with its angel share. The best whiskeys had 50% or even 70% angel share (if i remember correctly, need to find my photos of the demo cascets they had).

In networking, the quality is reversely correlated to overhead, so it should be called devils share.

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
Yes, ethernet cable directly from printer to router or printer to ethernet switch and ethernet switch to router. No brainer. Except for walls or other physical obstructions, never use WiFi ;-))

You can keep your notebook on WiFi, your router should perfectly connect between ethernet connected and WiFi connected devices. But when the WiFi connection between notebook and router is bad then that will also impact printing speed. But the risk for that happening should be lower than for the printer being on wifi because the WiFi support in routers and notebooks is better than on random embedded equipment like printers.

Ideally one has a printer server on the wired network that buffers whole print jobs from wireless notebook to printer so that you never run into the problem of the printer job cancelling because the wireless connection to the notebook gets interrupted by the microwave. Alas, these days the setup of such a print server that fully guarantees you this is not necessarily that easy.And only few routers have this.

Ok, excuse the stupid question but I already connected my printer full wireless. If I plug the ethernet cable from printer to router will it just automatically setup or do I need to wipe the wireless connection and go through the setup process again?

Cheers

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If I plug the ethernet cable from printer to router will it just automatically setup
Did you try it?

Generally speaking, no. The printer needs to be setup for a wired ethernet connection, meaning you will need to install the printer's specific drivers for this specific function.

If you do not have the User Manual for the R3000 then this should be your first priority. There is a section on setting up a wired ethernet connection for your printer.

What router do you have?

What operating system do you use?

Do you have a network/LAN set up already?

How many devices/computers will be accessing the printer?

There are a number of tutorials on You Tube on how to set up an network (LAN) and connect a printer wirelessly and wired.

do I need to wipe the wireless connection
Wired and wireless networks are independent from one another in that there is no need to clear the wireless setup to setup a wired connection.