R3000 print speed Super Slow

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
I just got my R3000 today. Printed a couple via USB and it was a decent speed.
Onto Wifi and it is insanely slow. I started printing something in A3, Went away out to the shop, Came back and it's still printing. Just made a cup of tea, Sat down to write this and as I speak it is stil printing. I knew it would be slower but should it be that slow?
Like 10-15 mins to print A3 from maybe 3mins over the USB.
Could it be down to the ink nearly being empty? Don't know why that would matter but just a thought.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Epson has their issues with Wifi on particular models. With the same router and setup, you could have good speed on one model and poor speed on another. To me it's not worth bothering with the setup. Hardwire it by USB or Ethernet and be done with it. Tested this on at least three routers and Win 7 and 10. The wifi analysis on the printer will show something is amiss but won't say what. On the same network, the 1430 would be fine. So go figure.

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
Hmm. That's unfortunate. I tend to sit and do work on the other end of the room when printing. A reshuffle will be in order because I can't wait that long per print. Cheers

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I immediately hooked my R3000 via USB after experiencing super slow printing g speed using WiFi. Forget about it!
Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Epson has their issues with Wifi on particular models. With the same router and setup, you could have good speed on one model and poor speed on another. To me it's not worth bothering with the setup. Hardwire it by USB or Ethernet and be done with it. Tested this on at least three routers and Win 7 and 10. The wifi analysis on the printer will show something is amiss but won't say what. On the same network, the 1430 would be fine. So go figure.
Yeah and on the same network all my wifi able Canon are also trouble free. I even switched them all off in the event it was a brand collision of some type between Canon and Epson. If you print text only, the speed is ok. The Artisan 730 also had the same issue as the R3000. Slow on images, seems like some sort of spooling/cache data caching/buffer issue. Maybe the networking experts can tell us more.
As for routers, I tried a WRT1900AC, A Linksys WRT54GL running stock firmware as well as TOMATO as well as a TPlink N150 and also a Dlink Nighthawk . All had slow speeds with the R3000.
Hardwired it with Ethernet and it is stable. I also lost a printer registration on the P800 and P600 once even with Ethernet.
My conclusion is that Epson has not thoroughly sorted out their networking except in the area of firmware updates where they are primarily focused on.

Last edited:

craig carr

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000
I immediately hooked my R3000 via USB after experiencing super slow printing g speed using WiFi. Forget about it!
Joe
Yeah and on the same network all my wifi able Canon are also trouble free. I even switched them all off in the event it was a brand collision of some type between Canon and Epson. If you print text only, the speed is ok. The Artisan 730 also had the same issue as the R3000. Slow on images, seems like some sort of spooling/cache data caching/buffer issue. Maybe the networking experts can tell us more.
As for routers, I tried a WRT1900AC, A Linksys WRT54GL running stock firmware as well as TOMATO as well as a TPlink N150 and also a Dlink Nighthawk . All had slow speeds with the R3000.
Hardwired it with Ethernet and it is stable. I also lost a printer registration on the P800 and P600 once even with Ethernet.
My conclusion is that Epson has not thoroughly sorted out their networking except in the area of firmware updates where they are primarily focused on.

Yeah my xp-860 was absolutely fine over wifi. Weird how bad it is on the r3000. I may be misunderstanding your reply but do you think it may be worth a shot putting an ethernet from the printer to the router? Will that potentially speed things up? Ive already got the USB wired up but if the ethernet was to be better that would be good. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ive already got the USB wired up but if the ethernet was to be better that would be good.
Besides being WiFi capable, the Epson R3000 has a 100 Mb/s (Megabits per second) ethernet port though you might max out at ~80 Mb/s.

The Epson R3000 also has a USB 2.0 port that theoretically maxes out at 480 Mb/s but real world speeds may be 30-40 Mb/s or slower depending on the hardware used.

It may be the "slower rated" ethernet port is faster than the "faster rated" USB 2.0 port. Try both and see what works best for you. Let us know what you find.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Besides being WiFi capable, the Epson R3000 has a 100 Mb/s (Megabits per second) ethernet port though you might max out at ~80 Mb/s

Maxing out at 80 is realistic as there is overhead in the physical and networking protocols.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yeah my xp-860 was absolutely fine over wifi. Weird how bad it is on the r3000. I may be misunderstanding your reply but do you think it may be worth a shot putting an ethernet from the printer to the router? Will that potentially speed things up? Ive already got the USB wired up but if the ethernet was to be better that would be good. :)
YES, that is how mine is networked. Stuck an old Netgear 10/100 wired router configured as a switch and it is feeding my P600,R3000 and Pro-1 smoothly. No speed slowdowns whatsoever. I had to feed three printers on a shared rack and USB would not travel far enough around the room ( without acquiring more stuff) given the 14+ year old router I had lying around, it was the logical thing to do.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Besides being WiFi capable, the Epson R3000 has a 100 Mb/s (Megabits per second) ethernet port though you might max out at ~80 Mb/s.

The Epson R3000 also has a USB 2.0 port that theoretically maxes out at 480 Mb/s but real world speeds may be 30-40 Mb/s or slower depending on the hardware used.

It may be the "slower rated" ethernet port is faster than the "faster rated" USB 2.0 port. Try both and see what works best for you. Let us know what you find.

I doubt it is that, when we talk about slowdowns, we are taking serious slowdowns here. When the printhead makes one pass, stops to collect data for a while and then make another pass, it is not on the order of even 10Mb. It is even possibly a fraction of that. Sounds to me like a cache or buffer is used up in one pass and is not flushed and refilled on the go. There has to be something wrong on the wireless side as this appears to be widely reported error. It may have something to do with how Windows sets up the network. If an XP user or Mac user could comment it could provide clues. Unless when Epson reported WIFI they meant for text only but on a photo printer meant to output high res images ??????