QY6-0076 Print Head

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
This isn't for the faint of heart and will require a LOT of reading, but you might want to look at this (very long) thread. As I mentioned in my previous reply, I have seen ink congeal into a flexible glop, and over the years, I have seen this "glop" block the passages leading from the cart to the actual print head. I seem to remember that at one time yellow was especially susceptible to this problem. That is the background behind why I worked out a way to clean these passages. Be forewarned that these blockages can be terminal. I wouldn't even attempt to try these methods unless you have decided that the print head is toast and that you have nothing to lose. Also, read the entire thread to the end before starting because you can damage the ceramic print head if too much pressure is applied to it while it is attached to the black phenolic part. Good luck.
Thank you again. Would this premise apply to the entire row 2 blank on the test print? It started with just the yellow. We noticed many posts referencing the yellow ink not printing. Then after very careful cleaning, iall of the colors in row 2 were no longer displaying. I have always used OEM ink.

I‘m certainly up for doing the reading. Only thing is, I don’t know where the thread is located. Would you point me in the direction of the thread, please?

Attachments

• i9900 test print.jpg
    i9900 test print.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you look closely at the text in the quote from Grandad35 you will notice that the text "this very long thread" is not black but a dark grey, and if you move the mouse cursor over it, it gets underlined. This indicates that the text is a link, clicking it opens the thread by Grandad35.

Here is the link again, but this time I changed the text colour to blue to indicate it is a link.

And here is the link not inserted in a text: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/clogged-canon-print-head.227/

@Nifty Could the forum software settings be changed so links show in a blue colour instead of a dark grey? I don't know if that is a standard but the blue text for links is often used on the web.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It started with just the yellow. We noticed many posts referencing the yellow ink not printing. Then after very careful cleaning, iall of the colors in row 2 were no longer displaying.
The issue you were having was not going to be fixed with an external head clean, but the fact what you did has directly caused the rest of the second block to fail, moisture has a tendency to do that, and if you also look closely at block one you’ll also see the PC and BK nozzles are also beginning to fail.
P.S. It gets very confusing when you have several threads dealing with the same issue..

Last edited:

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
Thank you for clarifying that there is a link. I'm posting a snapshot for admin, where I'm sitting "this very long thread" is black rather than grey. Now to delve into reading about this, then I will surely have more questions. With much appreciation.
If you look closely at the text in the quote from Grandad35 you will notice that the text "this very long thread" is not black but a dark grey, and if you move the mouse cursor over it, it gets underlined. This indicates that the text is a link, clicking it opens the thread by Grandad35.

Here is the link again, but this time I changed the text colour to blue to indicate it is a link.

And here is the link not inserted in a text: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/clogged-canon-print-head.227/

@Nifty Could the forum software settings be changed so links show in a blue colour instead of a dark grey? I don't know if that is a standard but the blue text for links is often used on the web.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 8.31.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 8.31.15 AM.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Very long thread.png
    Very long thread.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 220

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I must admit you are right, your screenshot shows no text colour difference in the link and the other text.

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit and Firefox is my default browser. I have also got Opera, Google Chrome and Edge that is a part of Windows, so I tried the other browsers too.

Firefox and Opera show the link text as dark grey, Chrome and Edge show the links in black like the rest of the text. I guess Apple's Safari or what you are using behaves in this way too.

I wonder if this is caused by the forum software or if some browsers are not fully compliant with webpage programming.

The thread was started in 2005. Since then it has been learned that installing a printhead that has not been totally dried after cleaning outside the printer can cause the print head to be ruined. Even worse a not dry print head can also damage the logic board. A logic board damaged in this way can damage a new print head. So be very careful when cleaning the printhead outside the printer.

@Nifty If the colour of link text cannot be changed and maybe not will show in all browsers, then could the link text be underlined? IIRC links were underlined in an earlier version of the forum software. It's a pity that links are invisible to users of some browsers.

Last edited:

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
So many variables. Do you have suggestions for getting the desired colors on the Pro9000? I prefer not to start messing around with the colors in the files that were used on the i9900 to try to get them to sing on the Pro9000. Those little nuances are the difference between ok and great.

We let the print head dry more than a day before putting it back. Wish I knew better how to proceed, Thank you so much!

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know how to adjust the colours on the Pro 9000 mk II under MacOS but maybe something is wrong with the print head or cartridges. What kind of inks are you using? New OEM or ?

Could you upload a nozzle check and also a scan or a crop of a scan of a print that shows the wrong colours from the Pro 9000 mk II?

It is a good idea to let the printhead dry a day before reinstalling, but sadly I think the missing colours are caused by an electronic fault in the print head. A stamp test can show if ink is present at the nozzles that don't print, If ink is present then it is proof of an electronic failure and no amount of cleaning can save the printhead.

If my link to the stamp test doesn't show as blue and underlined, then it is here also: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-ip7250-issues-nozzle-missing-yellow.12082/post-103951

Last edited:

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
So glad for your replies! There are two different printers: the i9900 that is not printing row 2 on a test print and the Pro9000. The Pro9000 is working as it should. I was never able to get the same color results with those two different printers when both were functioning. Now that I may have to manage with the Pro9000 I’m attempting to get as close as possible to the desired colors. I don‘t think anything is wrong with the Pro9000 colors, they’re just different from the i9900 output. I have used only OEM ink in both of the printers.

The stamp test is fantastic. Wish I had known about it before I started messing with the i9900 print head. 🧐. I will do the test as soon as I can later, hopefully today and let you know. Thank you so much for your support and input.

Last edited:

Etoile

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900
No yellow on the stamp test, but some black blobs and a tiny smudge of what could be cyan and magenta. Not a good sign. The black is printing the borders on the nozzle check print but not the lines under the 1 and 2.