QY6-0067 diagnosis

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This week to the recycle bin

iP4500 - 6A00. Suddenly came and is a fatal error. Also I notice that the parking station is on its way out. This was brought out when the iP3300 passed away. Do not store used printers with the printhead removed. It is bad.
iP3300 - Flashing Orange Green. Dead as it comes. Not printhead failure. Had a LOOOONNNG RUN. Everyday use as well as bulk printing.
Possibly MP 980 - Annoying C000 that is intermittent. Don't have time to deal with this one but sad to see it go as I have 2 extra Printheads for it. Worked everyday for the last three years. Change Power Supply and will try another printhead. Fingers crossed.
Oh but not only Canon
Epson R1800...the parking station has come apart and the wiper blade is now partly detached.
R2880 will not power up but the power supply is not dead. I think the circuit that powers up the printer is defective possibly one chip or transistor. Will hang on and take it apart.

These printers did not die of clogs but simple wear and tear like my body is experiencing right now.

Nothing lasts forever.

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
@TheHat
Thanks for your answer. I guess I could have also thought of that one but of course it is so well
known already.
Then, what is actually happening that causes the damage. Well, the logic board probably didn't get wet.
The printhead itself has fluids and moisture in contact with it. But water or, even worse, something
that has more electrolyte properties in the wrong place will cause short circuit, especially of +24V,
to somewhere it shouldn't be. This can cause damage to circuits in the nozzle die and/or the damaging
voltages can be conducted back to the output terminals of the logic board. Then when it all dries,
the short is gone.

This is basically about the only physical reason I have been able to think of, except for one variation.
I think a short can happen spontaneously. For instance, in the printhead I have been talking about
here we have general agreement that there is damage in the circuitry of the printhead itself,
maybe in the nozzle die. Although I am not familiar with the possible damage modes in these types
of chips, I question whether it could involve a short of the switched +24V back to the logic level
inputs and thence back to the logic board.

I think this second kind of damage (if likely - I would like to see a comment by @InkStainedFingers here),
although potentially just as serious, might be less widely distributed. In other words, a shorted voltage
could be conducted back to just one or two outputs of the logic board.

I don't think it has happened with this printhead but my speculative question is, "could it?". If it did,
would anyone know the difference? Would it be possible to find out?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don't think it has happened with this printhead but my speculative question is, "could it?". If it did, would anyone know the difference? Would it be possible to find out?
If you had managed to sustained logic board damage, which I dough very much, you’ll get a constant error, but more importantly you wouldn’t be able to print anything, so your safe in the knowledge that you can continue to use the printer as is, or with a new print head...

Logic board damage is something that can happen, but it’s so rare, it hardly ever happens during normal operational usage, it’s usually caused by tinkering under the hood by someone not qualified to do so... ;)

sneezer2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
mp610
I don't think I can agree with you here. I don't want to dismiss your view either as you are largely right.
But what I have been talking about is the possibility of having one (or two) data outputs on the logic
board not working, either because of damage at that point or even because of a fault on the print head being
signalled back to that location, with or without permanent logic board damage.

As you have so astutely pointed out, they own the software and we do not know what is in there.

A necessary corollary to that, however, is that we also do not know what is not in there.

As we do know, their error reporting system is pretty bizarre and does not always identify faults
accurately or usefully. For this reason, I strongly suspect that the fault detection is not as comprehensive
or as sophisticated as they would like us to believe and that there can be damage that would not
be reported by the software, thus allowing the printer to go on its merry way making visually
defective prints without any software complaining at all.

I suppose the only way we would really know is to try one and I don't think I will do that.

P.S. - Noted your location not too far from "strumpet ciy in the sunset".

leon de bruxelles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello
I had several canon MP750 during more than 10 years, running fine.
Now I am keeping only one working, due to head no more manufactured.
I am using QY6-0049 heads.
I found them in China.
They are refurbished heads but, in average, you must buy four of them to get one working and ask for refund about 3 other that you must send back to china.

So I am moving to next generation TS6050, new inks but refillable cartridges.

Hope this can help you topic