Progress report on pigment ink clogging test

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
One of my friends purchased a brand new MP760 the same time I did several years ago. I supplied him with Inktec refilled cartridges...
The MP760 was the worst clogged printer of all.
Sometime, I'll upload some pictures of it.
Here're the pictures.

First, looking inside the printer (with the cover removed) to see the shiny dark clogged rectangular pigment black purge pad and next to it, the black dull-looking square dye ink purge pad:
1315_clogged_purge_pad_mp760.jpg

Next, we see the bottom of the print head with so much dried pigment black ink on it:

1315_clogged_print_head_mp760.jpg

Now we see the bottom of the printer where the purge pump deposits the ink inside a little tray:

1315_clogged_bottom_mp760.jpg

And finally we see the absorbent pad just above where the ink is deposited. Note how it has just about completely filled in the hole that the purge pad tubing goes through:

1315_clogged_absorbent_pad_mp760.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're welcome.

If you want to see what all the absorbent waste pads look like, see this thread but keep in mind, these pictures are from two other printers, not the MP760 in post #39. I should have added that the ink in the above MP760 had only saturated the pads in the area surrounding the purge pump, it had not soaked any of the pads across the length of the printer so when you see the blackened absorbent pads in the thread referenced in this post, they represent how the ink should soak. The reason why the Inktec ink soaked across these absorbent pads is because I had used a lot of Windex on these printers which helped dilute the Inktec ink and keep it flowing but my friend with the MP760 never used any Windex. However, as I have pointed out repeatedly, using a lot of Windex results in premature filling of the absorbent waste ink pads which, on my MP760, started leaking out the bottom of the printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just thinking about the question of testing and viability...

ghwellsjr has provided all the intel there is on how he's done the testing and made if anyone wants to repeat them and/or compare using other printers then I'm pretty sure we'd ALL appreciate them...

One thing that does spring to mind is whether or not Canon have improved on the padding material in later designs and in particular I wonder what environmental factors are producing... In particular I'd be interested to see what happens with wider swatches of pads in a more closed tank (ie: less air circulating around pads).

I'm counting myself out on the testing front as I have plenty to do, but I know there's a LOT of retired folk and those who just itch to get answers on stuff like this, so here's a project if ever there was one. :)

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What happened to Leo's posts? There was one from him yesterday but is gone today. It had a very good explanation of ghwellsjr's problem. Its technical content was worth reading. It explained why nobody else had the problem ghwellsjr had.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
nche11 said:
What happened to Leo's posts? There was one from him yesterday but is gone today. It had a very good explanation of ghwellsjr's problem. Its technical content was worth reading. It explained why nobody else had the problem ghwellsjr had.
All of Leo8088's posts in this thread have been scrubbed, pointing to an action by Admin. Since Admin warned about negativety but did not scrub posts before, the removal of Leo8088's posts either was a request by Leo or he crossed the line Admin has.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeb, you could smell gun powder in this discussion. Don't understand why it went that way. Need to focus on the topic and never get personal.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I really would like to see more of your posts and the informative data you were providing all of us with.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
brilliant pictures ghwellsjr now I'm worried I do not think my MP760 has the 2 sponges shown in Picture 1 certainly the metal frame is there but open. bit difficult to see unless you can take the lid off. I am printing OK and no signs of a lot of ink anywhere and the Printhead was spotless when I last checked it. My M/C was bought S/H and I am using OCP ink at present.
barfl2

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Two sponges? Metal frame? Are you talking about the two small ceramic purge pads that are enclosed in soft rubber trays where the print head parks? You might be able to see them a little better if you open the cover and then look through the hole on the right where the arm comes through to hold the cover up.