problems with image after replacing tanks on iP8720

jal

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma iP8720
Been using after market ink tanks on my iP8720. First set worked fine. When they needed to be replaced, I replaced them with the same after market product. After replacing the tanks, prints were fine except blacks had vertical gray stripes. Did the nozzle cleaning with the print utility and did not solve the problem. I'm guessing the after market tanks are the problem - but is there something else that could be causing the problem?

jal

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma iP8720
Is this what you're referring to?

Attachments

• nozzle check iP8720_0001.jpg
    nozzle check iP8720_0001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 120

jal

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma iP8720
Here's a photo print that shows the vertical black gray stripes

Attachments

• photo print with black gray stripes_0001.jpg
    photo print with black gray stripes_0001.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 118

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That I’m afraid is a clear case of premature nozzle failure due to the poor ink that you are using, in a nutshell, the savings you made on the ink have all been in vain, because your now going to need a new print head.. Ouch..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Does the nozzle check look like the uploaded image or is it changed by the scanner? If it looks like the uploaded image then it is bad. But many scanners are not suitable for scanning nozzle checks with the default settings. Probably some image "enhancing" should be disabled? Your medium and light Cyan, Magenta and grey seem to be almost or completely missing.

Here is a nozzle check from an MP990, Your nozzle check should look similar, click to enlarge.

MP990 NC no corrections.jpg

The stripes in the dark areas of the photo are caused by ink starvation of most likely photo black ink or less likely grey ink. I suggest to try a Canon OEM BK cartridge, before giving up on the printhead.

jal

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma iP8720
I appreciate your responses. I was prepared to be chastised about the cheap cartridges and take those comments to heart. But, hopefully the good news is that, when I scanned and uploaded the nozzle check I was not looking at it closely enough to realize it was not at all an accurate representation of the nozzle check. My nozzle check is, in fact, closely similar to the one posted by PeterBJ. I will replace all the cartridges with Canon OEM BK and see if the problem is solved. Thank you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I appreciate your responses. I was prepared to be chastised about the cheap cartridges and take those comments to heart
I wasn’t chastising you directly, only the quality of the inks you’d chosen and you weren’t to know how poor they were..
The stripes in the dark areas of the photo are caused by ink starvation
I loaded the nozzle check into Photoshop and darken it to see if any of the other missing colours were present and they were not, I was also concerned over the colour of the strips, that’s why I gave my comments as to the state of the print head..
My nozzle check is, in fact, closely similar to the one posted by PeterBJ
I hope I was wrong..