Problems with Chip Resetters and Compaitble Ink carts

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had a local customer with a problem on her MP530 today and when I checked her ink carts they were of course empty. She did have several extras on hand but she was out of the Cyan, so I refilled it for her until she could order some more compatible ink carts. Once I refilled it, I put it into my "Blue" resetter but it did not reset properly. I got the quick short flash but it never came up solid, but only 5 or more short flashes. Once installed in the printer, it acted no different from before. Each time I tried to use it I got the, Cyan ink low.

Has anyone else reported problems with Compatible ink carts not being resettable.??????

I must point out that I got this resetter from Atlanticinkjet.com and the first one fail after it successfully reset the first ink cart. It took 3 weeks to RMA it back to them and get a replacement. It has worked on other Original Canon ink carts.

Anyone have a similar experience.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
When I purchased my used MP830 from local Kijiji ad, it came with 2 compatible ink cartridges. I cannot reset compatible chips.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Some compatible chips can be reset, most of them not. To be be sure: use original Canon cartridges. The ones from Jettec and Peach can not be reset, due to a different bit setting inside the chip. All the others from Geha, KMP, Pearl and Pelikan can be reset by both the Redsetter and the Bluesetter. I believe G&G are based on the Jettec design.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Use Google translation to translate the German into whatever language you want. The English translation is seems accurate enough.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for the quick response. Now the problem is, where can I buy Good Resettable compatible ink carts. The place where I customer is getting her ink carts is Atlanticinkjet.com and the box that these ink carts come in has absolutely no information on it. The top of the ink cart is labelled, "TrueStar".

Where are some locations in the U.S. that supply good ink carts with good ink.??????

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Whwn you peel off the TrueStar label on the PGI-5s and CLI-8s from Atlantic Inkjet, you will see that they are genuine Canon cartridges, reconditioned and refilled.

There are great for your own refilling, of course....

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Manuchau,... if this is true, why won't these ink carts work with the resetter. Atlanticinkjet.com is the site where I bought the resetter????

I'll give them a call tomorrow and confirm what you have said. However, I have already modified the cart to refill the ink and it was not a
standard Canon ink cart. There was no "Signature plastic ball and fill hole". Only a glue plug hole. I drilled my own hole and proceeded. I have one more of their ink carts and will inspect it more tomorrow. I did peal off the lower label and there was nothing that resembled anything that Canon has made.

Atlantic has also recently confirmed that they have coverted all their ink carts and bulk ink over to Durafirm which is a name that is real close to some other famous ink, but this stuff is claimed to be "Universal ink" that will work in any ink cart and any printer. As soon as I heard this rediculous claim I stop any further dealing with them and have take their name out of every document and Repair Manual I distribute.

Since I have a 2nd ink cart I just started a more detailed inspection. What I found was that it probably is a Canon ink cart and the plastic ball has already been push down through the top into the reservoir as it is still visible there. Once they refilled it they have plugged the fill hole with a very thick cover. The key question remains,... if it is a real Canon ink cart and chip,...why won't it reset to fulll status.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Trigger37,

something more down to earth explanation: the chip is "kaputt", the most likely reason why it does not reset and I did experience this several times. Don't bother, do use another cartridge. Another reason why the the old good chipless BCI-6 cartridges rule supreme.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have been selling Truestar cartridges from Atlantic for almost 3 years now, and I do a lot of refilling in my business. Every TrueStar cartridge I have seen in 3 yearsof the PGI-5 and cli-8 series is a genuine, refilled Canon cartridge, WITHOUT EXCEPTION. They just went out of business and I purchased a substantial amount of their remaining stock. There is no change; they are are still genuine Canons - all of them.

Peel off your label and take a look. My guess is that you have a defective chip.