Problem with printhead change and E161-403E

Felix H.

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
IPF6100
Hello!

I am rather new to both printing and this forum and hope to get som help here :)

A few years back I bought an IPF6100 and I have used it every now and then. During the last few months it has not been used and when I try to start it, I get the error message E161-403E and the instruction to "Call for service".

Apparently I need to change the right print head. This would probably ok, but the problem is that I cannot start up my printer in order to get to the menu, which is necessary in order to change the head. Even if I start the printer in "Service Mode", the error message will show and will prevent any further progression into the menu.

So my question is what to do? Can I change the print head without starting the computer? Or can I somehow "bypass" the error message and get into the meny anyway?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you and best wishes from Sweden!

/Felix

20190812_104552.jpg

20190812_104601.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am rather new to both printing and this forum and hope to get som help here
Hi @Felix H and welcome, it’s not nice when your darn printer won’t let you carry out such a simple task, obviously your documentation tell you it’s a problem with the left hand print head.

To start the process try first to unload the paper if there is any paper loaded, then turn off the printer.
Next Press the Load Navigate at the same time as turning on the printer.

Go to maintenance then select Replace print head and the printer should then allow you to carry out the task, now replace the head and this will fix your problem.

Never replace the print head without using the service mode otherwise it will give you a big headache. Each time you need to replace a print head be sure your maintenance cartridge has sufficient enough space left in it ..

Felix H.

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
IPF6100
Thank you very much for the fast reply. :) I have tried to start the printer in service mode before. (However, I pressed "feeder selection" & information simultaneously and not "load" & information as you suggest. Perhaps load & information will do the trick?). The printer then starts in service mode, which is indicated by the letter S that appears in the display. Then, while the printer still continues to start, I release the feeder select & information buttons. And before I get to the menu, maintenance, the error message appears and blocks any further navigation. :(

woodenfred

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ipf710
Felix H. I have the same problem. What was the solution?

There is a service tech coming next week, but I'd like to clear the error and see if it will plot the 2 drawings I need now.