Is a hot dog a sandwich?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
A fellow camera club member is selling his unopened Canon CLI-8 ink cartridges for $8 each because his Pro 9000 died. First, I'd like to extend an offer to any PrinterKnowledge member who is interested in purchasing these cartridges. I would have to check with the seller first, of course.

But, I was wondering if six of these eight inks are compatible with the Pro-100? Namely, BK, C, M, Y, PM, & PC. I know the R(ed) and G(reen) are not.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I visited Precision Color's website and their formulation is different. That doesn't mean Canon's is.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If you mean compatibility of bulk ink, in all likelihood you can use CLI-8 ink on a Pro100 without clogging or any other problems, but color matching is a different story. I wouldn’t expect much accuracy. Probably not even a dedicated color profile would fix totally the matter
IMHO Photo black is the one where color gamut of CLI-42 and CLI-8 ink will be in the same ballpark because, up to a point, black is black..

In the past I used CLI-8 Yellow and PB inks to refill BCI-6 cartridges. I found out that they were very similar, although a dedicated profile was required to achieve the best results. Instead, BCI-6 Cyan and Magenta are clearly different in gamut from their CLI-8 counterparts.
In the case of CLI-8 vs CLI-42 ink, only a practical test would tell.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
But, I was wondering if six of these eight inks are compatible with the Pro-100? Namely, BK, C, M, Y, PM, & PC. I know the R(ed) and G(reen) are not.
If you can get the whole set then the colour differences will be negotiable, but if you mix them with CLI-42’s then the colour shift will be more noticeable, but my biggest concern is with the price, I reckon $3 will be more appropriate..
It's a fire sale...;)

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you mean compatibility of bulk ink, in all likelihood you can use CLI-8 ink on a Pro100 without clogging or any other problems, but color matching is a different story. I wouldn’t expect much accuracy. Probably not even a dedicated color profile would fix totally the matter
IMHO Photo black is the one where color gamut of CLI-42 and CLI-8 ink will be in the same ballpark because, up to a point, black is black..

In the past I used CLI-8 Yellow and PB inks to refill BCI-6 cartridges. I found out that they were very similar, although a dedicated profile was required to achieve the best results. Instead, BCI-6 Cyan and Magenta are clearly different in gamut from their CLI-8 counterparts.
In the case of CLI-8 vs CLI-42 ink, only a practical test would tell.
Thanks!

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you can get the whole set then the colour differences will be negotiable, but if you mix them with CLI-42’s then the colour shift will be more noticeable, but my biggest concern is with the price, I reckon $3 will be more appropriate..
It's a fire sale...;)
Thanks!