Pro 200 - Need help

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
Hello All,

I am new to printing and also to the forum. I recently purchased a Canon Pro 200 off the Facebook marketplace and having an issue with it. Trying to understand if this can be resolved or not.
The nozzle check shows some issues with the PM ink all other prints fine. Attached is the nozzle check pattern and one of the photos I printed with it. The banding was worst before but it is there even after doing multiple deep cleaning cycles.

The flower picture was printed initially and the other pic was printed this morning.

Would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 250

Romanf345

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500 mkii/canon pro 100
I think you should run a cleaning cycle, that will probably cure the problem.

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
Thank you for responding. I have run multiple cleaning/deep cleaning cycle but the issue remains :(

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@Romanf345, when you’re more experienced with inkjet printers you’ll learn fast that purchasing non new printers from marketplaces and such sites is not a good idea, unless you can assess in person the real condition of the machine. Besides, shipping by Courier a printer with cartridges installed is risky too. More often than not they turn the box sideways or upside down, with the subsequent ink leaking and/or damage.
Never, ever, perform several deep cleanings in a row on a Canon inkjet. Those should be done exclusively as a last resource, as they suppose a tremendous stress for the printhead.
After one deep cleaning wait a few minutes. Then print only a nozzle test and see how it comes. If it’s hopefully, good, problem solved. If not, don’t try to print normal pictures or to perform more cleanings.. Leave the printer to rest overnight.
Next day, print another nozzle test and check for clogged nozzles. If there’re still some, perform one normal cleaning cycle and check again the new nozzle test. If the problem isn’t fixed by then, don’t do more normal cleanings, let alone a deep cleaning. In all probability the remedy would end up being worse than the malady.

You didn't say whether you're using Canon OEM ink, compatible cartridges or refilled. I expect that you use original Canosn, as at present, there're no third party chips compatible with the Pro-200.
If the missing PM nozzles are only clogged, they might fix by themselves with Canon OEM ink. although It may take a while.
Even if you're using now third party cartridges with ink monitoring disabled, installing a new fresh Canon PM cartridge will probably fix the clogs eventually, requiring even more time and patience.
Now, if those PM .nozzles are electrically damaged, nothing can be done. You'll have to live with banding on the images or purchase a new printhead.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This guy has been posting on dpreview as well. I recommended he change the tanks to new ones. On DPreview https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65216970 the picture clearly shows ink starvation somewhere that is not revealed perfectly in the nozzle check, If the starvation does not go away, he is left with one conclusion. Bad printhead or damaged printhead. I also explained why the OEM tanks can be at fault, and people should take note of this. THIS is the risk that Canon took when they removed the prisms on their tanks. I suspect some printing was done with empty tanks and since it was all OEM. This should be on Canon for a warranty. If the printer is under warranty, I expect Canon will honor the warranty.
Otherwise he is left to attempt printhead cleanins outside the printer. BUT the Chromalife Yellow and water does not mix well so he has to use something of a mild detergent to flush out the yellow before moving towards cleaning and flushing.
I explained in dPreview why it is clearly tank/printhead related.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I recently purchased a Canon Pro 200 off the Facebook marketplace

Until this is resolved or a trusted member of the forum says otherwise, do NOT print anything other than nozzle checks.

Which way did the print exit the printer first - the top end of the flower or the bottom of the image where the words are located?

The pattern of loss of ink is geometric, irregular and repetitive. The pattern increases in the intensity of the loss of ink from the top and worsens as you go to the bottom of the image. The frequency of the pattern increases as you progress down the image. There is also a brief pause in the loss of ink at the bottom, but then returns where the words are located.

Either this is the most exquisite series of clogs or it is an electrical malfunction. Based on the appearance of the defect(s), this is most likely an electrical malfunction. A new print head is probably the cure. The issue may or may not involve the logic assay board entirely with or without the print head, though this kind of malfunction has been rare with previous models of Canons. There just isn't enough data to know the patterns of malfunction with this new printer, but, there is no reason yet to believe it should be different from past models.

As mikling stated, this may be an ink starvation issue, but this does not explain why there is a brief pause in the banding after a series of increased number of lines per unit area in a part of the image that has similar ink deposition.

More information may help.

Please scan, crop and post the entire nozzle check.

Is this a new or used printer? If within the warranty period then you should call Canon Tech Support and not mess around here.

When did the printer begin to behave this way? Was there anything you did that was different before these lines began? Was it always this way but worsened?

Are you using OEM ink or aftermarket ink (what brand)?

If refilling, are you using OEM cartridges or aftermarket cartridges?

If refilling, have you disabled ink level monitoring or do you use aftermarket chips on OEM cartridges or aftermarket cartridges with chips?

Last edited:

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
This guy has been posting on dpreview as well. I recommended he change the tanks to new ones. On DPreview https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65216970 the picture clearly shows ink starvation somewhere that is not revealed perfectly in the nozzle check, If the starvation does not go away, he is left with one conclusion. Bad printhead or damaged printhead. I also explained why the OEM tanks can be at fault, and people should take note of this. THIS is the risk that Canon took when they removed the prisms on their tanks. I suspect some printing was done with empty tanks and since it was all OEM. This should be on Canon for a warranty. If the printer is under warranty, I expect Canon will honor the warranty.
Otherwise he is left to attempt printhead cleanins outside the printer. BUT the Chromalife Yellow and water does not mix well so he has to use something of a mild detergent to flush out the yellow before moving towards cleaning and flushing.
I explained in dPreview why it is clearly tank/printhead related.
Indeed I am, and someone on another thread suggested to post on this forum so I am here since it is more focused on printing. I can't try with new inks as my inks are in transit and FedEx is taking forever to deliver them.

Trying to get the ink tanks locally and will update the results here.

The printer is in warranty but the original owner misplaced the sales receipt.

Thanks a ton for the insights.

Last edited:

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
Until this is resolved or a trusted member of the forum says otherwise, do NOT print anything other than nozzle checks.

Which way did the print exit the printer first - the top end of the flower or the bottom of the image where the words are located?

The pattern of loss of ink is geometric, irregular and repetitive. The pattern increases in the intensity of the loss of ink from the top and worsens as you go to the bottom of the image. The frequency of the pattern increases as you progress down the image. There is also a brief pause in the loss of ink at the bottom, but then returns where the words are located.

Either this is the most exquisite series of clogs or it is an electrical malfunction. Based on the appearance of the defect(s), this is most likely an electrical malfunction. A new print head is probably the cure. The issue may or may not involve the logic assay board entirely with or without the print head, though this kind of malfunction has been rare with previous models of Canons. There just isn't enough data to know the patterns of malfunction with this new printer, but, there is no reason yet to believe it should be different from past models.

As mikling stated, this may be an ink starvation issue, but this does not explain why there is a brief pause in the banding after a series of increased number of lines per unit area in a part of the image that has similar ink deposition.

More information may help.

Please scan, crop and post the entire nozzle check.

Is this a new or used printer? If within the warranty period then you should call Canon Tech Support and not mess around here.

When did the printer begin to behave this way? Was there anything you did that was different before these lines began? Was it always this way but worsened?

Are you using OEM ink or aftermarket ink (what brand)?

If refilling, are you using OEM cartridges or aftermarket cartridges?

If refilling, have you disabled ink level monitoring or do you use aftermarket chips on OEM cartridges or aftermarket cartridges with chips?

Thank you, I'll not print anything else from it.

The print exited from the top end where the flower starts. It is happening since the day I got this printer (06/08 to be precise)

It is a used printer.

Attachments

• NozzleCheckPatternCropped.jpg
    NozzleCheckPatternCropped.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

kssharma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 200
@Romanf345, when you’re more experienced with inkjet printers you’ll learn fast that purchasing non new printers from marketplaces and such sites is not a good idea, unless you can assess in person the real condition of the machine. Besides, shipping by Courier a printer with cartridges installed is risky too. More often than not they turn the box sideways or upside down, with the subsequent ink leaking and/or damage.
Never, ever, perform several deep cleanings in a row on a Canon inkjet. Those should be done exclusively as a last resource, as they suppose a tremendous stress for the printhead.
After one deep cleaning wait a few minutes. Then print only a nozzle test and see how it comes. If it’s hopefully, good, problem solved. If not, don’t try to print normal pictures or to perform more cleanings.. Leave the printer to rest overnight.
Next day, print another nozzle test and check for clogged nozzles. If there’re still some, perform one normal cleaning cycle and check again the new nozzle test. If the problem isn’t fixed by then, don’t do more normal cleanings, let alone a deep cleaning. In all probability the remedy would end up being worse than the malady.

You didn't say whether you're using Canon OEM ink, compatible cartridges or refilled. I expect that you use original Canosn, as at present, there're no third party chips compatible with the Pro-200.
If the missing PM nozzles are only clogged, they might fix by themselves with Canon OEM ink. although It may take a while.
Even if you're using now third party cartridges with ink monitoring disabled, installing a new fresh Canon PM cartridge will probably fix the clogs eventually, requiring even more time and patience.
Now, if those PM .nozzles are electrically damaged, nothing can be done. You'll have to live with banding on the images or purchase a new printhead.
I didn't run cleaning in a row and did it few hours apart. Using canon inks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It is happening since the day I got this printer (06/08 to be precise)

It is a used printer.
If this was happening since Day 1 and the seller did not inform of such issues then I would communicate with the seller about a return/refund. Maybe shipping caused the issue, but, maybe the issue was known to the seller and why he got rid of it.

Concerning the nozzle check...

It may be scanner or image compression artifacts, but I see defects in every color swath of your nozzle check. Much of it appears as density alterations in the latticework, some lighter and some darker instead of uniform.

Awaiting your answers to my other questions.