Pro 10s magenta

Borut

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
I’m with @palombian. It must be this particular magenta ink, not the carts.
In this forum with a very limited number of Pro10 owners, three of them (@palombian, @Borut and myself ) have reported the same issue with the same ink in less than one year. So far, none of the other 9 inks have been troublesome at all ( correct me if I’m wrong @palombian and @Borut ). I don’t think that storing the carts upside down or not would have made any difference in this case, not unless you leaved them untouched for a long time, meaning at least one year.

Flushing the card whit solution 10 times in and out did actualy help.
I did Also create new color profile..It can be faulty becose of magenta ink not working properly.
Now i wonder if this will happend again if the ink is the problem...Or is that a reaction betwen OEM and Octo ink..After migrating whitout flushing the cart I dont now......
I Also did ask Martin from Octoink what he has to say abaut it.
And the big question is now should we time to time flush all our cartriges to prevent this?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don’t think that storing the carts upside down or not would have made any difference in this case, not unless you leaved them untouched for a long time, meaning at least one year.
It takes less than 24 hours for the pigment particles to settle, but a lot longer to be imbedded in the sponges…
And the big question is now should we time to time flush all our cartriges to prevent this?
Agitating the refill bottle before commencing a refill will help greatly and cut down on the possibility of cartridge congestion..

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I’m not a gambling sort of guy but I’d bet a few quids that, in this case, is not the cart, the refilling technique, dryness, lack of agitation, storing method etc. The fact that among ten different inks of the Pro10, three people here have issues with the same color of the same vendor and zero problems with the other colors has to be more than pure chance. I’d say that there’re 99.9% of possibilities that the problem is caused by a suboptimal batch of magenta ink.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The fact that among ten different inks of the Pro10, three people here have issues with the same color of the same vendor and zero problems with the other colors
How do you explain the non-symmetric and seemingly intermittent nozzle check overspray issue with Palombian?

Also, it is unclear if the same batch of Magenta is being used by all having issues. Maybe we can get clarity on this.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don’t explain it but it looks exactly like my nozzle test of one year ago. Of course we don’t know if it’s the same batch of ink, but it’s the same vendor.

Don’t get me wrong. I really trust Martin ( Octoinkjet) or I wouldn’t buy his inks. When this problem happened to me he said that, back then, nobody else had complained about the Pro10 magenta.
We know that he’s a busy man and only enters here now and then but it would be nice if he told us something about this matter. Now it’s not only me but also @palombian and @Borut.

I hope Martin won’t mind if I disclose that he asked me to sent back the remaining magenta ink in order to perform some tests for possible contamination or problems with that particular batch, but he didn’t say if the tests were done and/or which were the results.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Also, it is unclear if the same batch of Magenta is being used by all having issues. Maybe we can get clarity on this.
Often I’ve found it’s much easier to blame the messenger for the results you get with certain types of inks, a more simpler way would be to cooperate and post the batch numbers of the each of the problematic ink..

I had a similar problem many years ago with my photo black, and after blaming everything, I checked and redoubled my refilling procedure for that colour and after several carts purges, the problem was resolved, not to mention shaking the shit out of the refill bottle a couple of minutes before using..

Borut

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
So far after big cleaning and rinsing of the cartridge there are no problems.I learned that if you want to see the right results of Nozzle check you need to do it 2 times in one time.One nozzle check will not show the problem after cleaning or etc.
Also before printing will be nice to use app ink quality maintanance to shake the ink before printing.
Thx To Hat user. Am realy happy that i did learn something new.
Regards
Borut.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@The Hat :
How could I know the batch number of that magenta if the original bottle with the remaining ink was sent back to Martin for testing purposes ?. He should know which batch was my ink and which ones correspond to the ink purchased by @palombian and @Borut.
I refill my all my Pro10 carts in the same way and so, I gather, do the other two members with magenta issues. Do you think it’s reasonable to think that the problem lies on the carts, the printer, the refilling or storing system ? How come, the other nine colors refilled in the same way have been perfectly fine for three different users ?.

I’m getting tired of beating a dead horse. This matter is not a problem for me anymore since I switched to another supplier of Pro10 magenta ink.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
3 users is statistically not much, but it is 100% of the population.

I sucked out the ink of a PGI-29M (PRO-1, contains 37.5g , 25% less expensive than PGI-72).
2 nozzle checks were OK. I will follow the situation.

No need IMO for bad words about octoinkjet.co.uk.

The positive is that 9 of the 10 inks did not cause problems until now.

Even not the Red (yet), rumored the most difficult color to saturate and possibly overloaded with pigment.

The PBK is less black than OEM (L=8 vs L=3.5) but much better than the L=18 for the 9500.
In addition it is suggested on the website to use OEM for maximum results.
With a dedicated profile the blackness is by large sufficient for most prints, and I had no adhesion problems.

The gamut is IMO very good for 3th party ink (and better than what I had for the 9500).

The CO seems to me less concentrated than OEM and precision colors.

I already discussed this with octoinkjet @websnail and will do the same for the Magenta, a solution can probably found.

At this moment octoinkjet.co.uk has a price advantage for us Europeans, based on what I'm already been charged precisioncolors.com via myUS.com is at least 60% more than what I paid before.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Correlation does not imply causation. More information not yet revealed required. None know the batch identification or the particulars of each refilling behavior or condition of the cartridges.

Again, how does the overspray/whatever of Magenta in Palombian's nozzle check relate to the ink starvation appearance he also suffers from? These seem to be distinct issues.

No need IMO for bad words about octoinkjet.co.uk.
While we should guard against false impressions, websnail - a trusted forum member and etailor - is no shrinking violet, he cannot possibly know of all potential issues unless informed at some point, and this forum should consider reasonable scenarios, free of bias as possible, while looking for solutions.