Pro 100 refill strategy

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
I just replaced all 8 cartridges after one became empty. I had already had a complete set of carts refilled and ready when this happened. Other than some spillage due to over filling and ink stained hands (a point of pride), the Pro-100 took to them fine reporting full.
I'm just listening to this thread.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Other than some spillage due to over filling
Under filling your carts will never cause any problems for your printer but overfilling will and might even cause you to lose your print head from ink starvation, an over filled cart is a time bomb just waiting to go off. ;)

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Under filling your carts will never cause any problems for your printer but overfilling will and might even cause you to lose your print head from ink starvation, an over filled cart is a time bomb just waiting to go off. ;)
That's seems backwards. How can over filling cause starvation?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
That's seems backwards.
Faster than you think, because the air maze can and will get blocked when you least expect it, usually right in the middle of your print run.

Underfilling on the other hand has no detrimental effect on your printer in any way...

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, I suffer from more-is-better and I'm working on that. Here's my concern about under filling: once the cart is reset, it thinks it is full; if it is under filled, it will run out of ink before the printer thinks it's low, right?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The more is better syndrome will kill your printer eventually, now underfilling is a far safer option, only filling the reservoir side to ¾ full is more than adequate and will work perfectly every time.

The printer always relys on the cartridge prism sensor to detect when a cartridge is low on ink, whether it’s from normal usage, under filling or leakage, any one of these 3 conditions will automatically show up as low ink.

Try this yourself, wait till one of your carts are near low ink (Past half full), then remove the cart, refill and pop it back in without resetting it, your printer will later stop with an out of ink warning, but that cart will still have ink in it... ?

The system is designed not to be fool, but if you try the same thing backwards, i.e. resetting a low ink cartridge to full again and NOT refilling it, this will result in you running out of ink and the printer will be oblivious to it, call it the FUBAR method.

Scratch one print head, so fooling the system has some financial costs involved ... :(

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
The more is better syndrome will kill your printer eventually, now underfilling is a far safer option, only filling the reservoir side to ¾ full is more than adequate and will work perfectly every time.

The printer always relys on the cartridge prism sensor to detect when a cartridge is low on ink, whether it’s from normal usage, under filling or leakage, any one of these 3 conditions will automatically show up as low ink.
I didn't realize there was a sensor. I thought it figured ink level my pure math. Good to know.
Try this yourself, wait till one of your carts are near low ink (Past half full), then remove the cart, refill and pop it back in without resetting it, your printer will later stop with an out of ink warning, but that cart will still have ink in it... ?

The system is designed not to be fool, but if you try the same thing backwards, i.e. resetting a low ink cartridge to full again and NOT refilling it, this will result in you running out of ink and the printer will be oblivious to it, call it the FUBAR method.

Scratch one print head, so fooling the system has some financial costs involved ... :(

Very valuable information. Thank you.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The plot thickens as I have been using my iP4300 heavily and it is proving one thing. At this point in the evolution of the firmware, Canon did not force a cartridge purge when the lid was opened then closed. Even switching carts does not always force a purge.
Later on they started to evolve the system/strategy.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Somebody forgot to read instructions and watch videos.