Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As explained by mikling in video #1 there is a prism in the bottom of the ink reservoir. The prism is non reflective when it is covered in ink and becomes reflective when it is no longer covered in ink, meaning the reservoir is empty.

In use the cartridges pass over an optical reflective sensor, and if a prism is reflecting this triggers a count down routine that at some time later triggers a low ink warning.

I have scanned two CLI-8 cartridges. The top cartridge is full of ink and the bottom cartridge is empty. Notice the prism of the empty cartridge reflects the scanner lamp:

CLI-8 Prisms.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The plot thickens as I have been using my iP4300 heavily and it is proving one thing. At this point in the evolution of the firmware, Canon did not force a cartridge purge when the lid was opened then closed. Even switching carts does not always force a purge.
I have noticed that sometimes my MP830 printer does not do much until you initiate the first print job after the manipulations you discusses. Then, the printer may be doing a purge. Have you noticed the same?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, something like that. I had not clearly kept track of it but it was somewhat the same. This behavior is very different from the newer printers for sure. The smaller cart generation that followed the cli-8 behaves differently as well.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have witnessed the same scenario on a couple other Canon model printers from around the same era. I have no idea if it is a purge of ink triggered by opening/closing the lid, by taking a cartridge out and then returning it without any alteration, or caused by a timed maintenance purge that would happen regardless of touching the lid or a cartridge. Then there is the possibility it is only the sound of the wiper blade in action.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Not sure it is worth the time of day to investigate. There are so few of these machines left and as long as you replace the set, you know you are doing all that can be done. In the end, these have been with us for over 10 years, if you don't get clogs and hardly anyone does anymore, then just keep running it. These are now boring machines that just churn along.....like owning a Toyota Corolla. It's an appliance and that is what most people want printers to be.